• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC hatched 4/29 problems?

Kathieelh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathie
1st time breeding 2 1/2 year old GCC’s. Baby #2 of 5, hatched 4/30/22, seems to have problems holding his head up…full crop, noticed this morning…any advice?!

Attachments

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there, Congrats on the babies.

Good job noticing that he is acting differently than the others. You need to observe your baby and see if he can hold his head up at all or not. Babies sleep and rest in all sorts of odd positions. He may just be resting. Also as babies gain weight and get heavier they will position themselves differently than babies of other ages.

Also I see his leg sticking out to the side. This could just be how he is sitting but it could also be indicative of a splayed leg. Try and figure out if he can and does pull it into the normal position and stand up. If not you will need to treat that as well. There have been several recent posts on what to look for and how to help. Again, he may be fine but you'll need to observe and figure it out.

Are these your first babies? Do you have any experience raising babies? Do you plan to handfeed or just let the parents raise them. Either way you can be a good steward and help them out by being observant and helping with any abnormalities.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not a breeder, but my understanding is that you need a LOT more shavings in the nestbox to support the chicks' weight. At the moment their legs are not strong enough to support their legs when standing on the bare wood, and this can lead to splayed legs.

You should have several inches of shavings in the nestbox, and should make a small hollow in the middle for the chicks.