• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCC clear nasal discharge

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I am sorry for keep asking the same questions, I am just really worried about my new GCC

So I have my GCC for only 1 month and she is a 3 months old young bird. She is on pellet and mixed vegetable diet.

When I got her the second week, I noticed she did some dry sneezing when she preening, and she will insert her nail into nostril which induces 2-3 dry sneezing. However, at night when she sleep, she wakes up in the mid night and when I took her out, her nose is wet and one day there is a clear drop of liquid from one nostril to her beak.

I took her to the vet the following Monday, some mucus was washed out when the avian vet did nasal flush. So now she is on Baytril as antibiotics and F10-Saline as nose drop.

Everything seems working and she is on these medication for almost one week. However, yesterday her nose became wet again at midnight, she still slept well after that. This morning she just looks like a normal healthy bird as usual. However, after I fed her Baytril, she suddenly sneezed a lot with clear discharge again. Drops of liquid run down on her beak and it continued for like 5 - 10 mins. I can see liquid in her nose going up and down when she breath. Now the section stopped and she is taking a nap (she usually do at this time)

I am going to schedule another vet check next or the following week. All her lab work (bacteria/ fungi) from last week's vet check is not coming out yet so I am still waiting. She eats normal, and poop normal. And my vet said her heart/ air sac sounds normal.

I am so confused about whats going on and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about this situation? Thank you so much
Sorry again for keep posting on the same issue. I really feel she is totally healthy but her nasal discharge just come back again

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Clear discharge usually means no infection. My Pionus, Kobe, has allergy issues and usually has clear discharge in the spring months. He had many tests when he was younger - there was nothing wrong and the vet concluded after many months, it was allergies. Will be interesting to see what the lab test results are for your little one.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Clear discharge usually means no infection. My Pionus, Kobe, has allergy issues and usually has clear discharge in the spring months. He had many tests when he was younger - there was nothing wrong and the vet concluded after many months, it was allergies. Will be interesting to see what the lab test results are for your little one.
My vet told me it might be allergy or something in her nose.
We did couple different tests and some come back negative, some I am still waiting for.
But she tends to sneeze more than my previous bird, plus I never saw wet sneezing before. Hopefully its not an infection or any underlying health issues!

Thank you so much for the replay

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Update: all come back negative! Some opportunistic bacteria found so she will continue Baytril for one more week (total 3 weeks), and will recheck after she stops medication for a week.

However, I still have some questions
1) still wet sneezing, 1-2 times/ week; dry sneeze 5-10/ day (my pervious bird rarely sneeze and never wet sneeze)
2)some night she moves around in her cage, like quite for 30mins - 1hr and move around and then quite for another few hours. I am worried if she is irritated by something or feel uncomfortable?
3) I try to keep her sleep 10-12 hrs per day but it takes her at least 1 hour to come down; and move around in her cage at mid night; and wakes up 5-6 am in the morning, is that normal or potentially a sign of illness?

But so far, no obvious infection, heart and lung sounds normal and no pathogenic bacteria/ fungi/ parasites detected.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Glad to know the results were all negative.

Have you got a HEPA air purifier? It might help remove some of the airborne allergens. Do you cover her at night? If so make sure there is a big breathing gap. Also when you wash the cover just use water - no detergent or fabric conditioner.

If you don’t cover her, then it’s probably the morning light that is waking her.

Kobe wakes me up with his sneezing every morning. Sometimes I can hear he is snuffling and has runny nares. Other times I think it’s a learned behaviour to tell me he wants to get up (he sleeps in the same room as me) - as there is no discharge. I have a HEPA air purifier near Kobe’s night cage and his day cage. But having lived with him for over 14 years, I know it is seasonal. The air purifier helps a bit I think.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Another thought is regular showers will help keep the dander down. It’s something my vet suggested some 14 years ago.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Glad to know the results were all negative.

Have you got a HEPA air purifier? It might help remove some of the airborne allergens. Do you cover her at night? If so make sure there is a big breathing gap. Also when you wash the cover just use water - no detergent or fabric conditioner.

If you don’t cover her, then it’s probably the morning light that is waking her.

Kobe wakes me up with his sneezing every morning. Sometimes I can hear he is snuffling and has runny nares. Other times I think it’s a learned behaviour to tell me he wants to get up (he sleeps in the same room as me) - as there is no discharge. I have a HEPA air purifier near Kobe’s night cage and his day cage. But having lived with him for over 14 years, I know it is seasonal. The air purifier helps a bit I think.
Thank you for the response!

Yes, I started HEPA air purifier a week ago, might be the reason her wet sneezing decreased a little bit? (hard to tell since she is also taking antibiotics)
She is covered at night but b/c I live in a small apt, she heard all the noise I made.
Her clear nasal discharge usually happens at night when she sleeps. Happened again yesterday night but I heard she did some sneezing and pretty sure no more comes out (still trying to figure what's going on)

And she takes shower usually every day. She also eats a lot!

My vet have other ideas in mind. He said change antibiotics/ use drugs against potential allergy/ do a CT or x-ray and send to a special lab to analyze potential hard to detect infection/ do some more nasal flash... etc. Hopefully after 3 weeks of antibiotics she will be fine or maybe just allergy not an infection

Thanks again for the information!