• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent garbage bag tweezer got stuck in conure's eyering; eyering real swollen

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Yeepee:hug8:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad everything worked out!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great to hear!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So glad Ocean got to see the Dr. and that she will be fine.

I keep .9% sterile saline solution around for any injuries like that and to flush Jasper's nostrils. Remember the sterile part.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so glad she is okay! Must have been so scary.
:hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Very glad all is well!

Divud

Moving in
Real Name
David Chambers Jr.
Wow, I am so amazed at how much support and love you guys have given over the past couple of days. This account was created about 30 minutes after this incident occurred, and immediately afterwards this entire community answered with deep concern for Ocean's well-being. I never imagined meeting a community so dedicated to caring for these amazing creatures that bring our lives joy beyond words. I'm really happy to have found this site.

From a young age, I have always had an immense fascination with birds. It started with an interest in helping small birds who fell out of their nests to rehabilitate, so that their return to the wild could be no sooner than later. That love soon evolved into a full time hobby rehabilitating fallen or injured birds. My most recent lost was a red vented bulbul whom had no way of getting back to his nest all the way up in a coconut tree. That was almost 6 years ago. His name was Willy, and he was the best thing that happened to me. However, he passed in April 2015 which left me and my mother very depressed for a while.

About a month later, I have two new baby birds, Harbor (Blue Dutch Lovebird), and Ocean (Cinnamon-Turquoise Conure) who have personalities that match this entire household. They both get along... most of the time :rolleyes:.

Other than that, wanted to update everyone on Ocean's current condition. Her swelling has gone down almost 100% :D! She is still getting antibiotic treatment, and is back to her (attention seeking, and affectionate) self after a couple of days of rest and recovery. Which is a very good thing. :dance4: Tried to take a clear picture of her eye, but it's night time, so sorry :facepalm:...
20160413_230400.jpg

Again, this experience has given me and my babies much happiness, and I wish you all the same too! Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:loveshower:Your birds are so cute. Just be careful of the things in & around there cage & even some toys can be dangerous.
Sometimes we try out best but they still find ways to get into trouble.

Was reading this earlier...it shows just how many things you have to watch out for...:wideyed:

Pamperedpeeps Aviary-  What endangers my bird?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Ocean's eye ring is healing nicely and she is back to being herself. It does look better in the photo. Your birds are very cute. Thanks for sharing your story and posting the photo.

Divud

Moving in
Real Name
David Chambers Jr.
They really are the cutest pair evar! :heart::heart::heart: But oh my goodness, that's alot of things to watch for camelotshadow. The main thing I worry about is these two sweathearts flying in the kitchen while I cook. That's why I always try to close the door on them before I leave. But most of the things mentioned in the article are stuff bird owners take for granted. Thanks for that though, and thank you iamwhoiam for you kind words and thoughts :angel6:.

Heather F

I'm glad she is recovering nicely! :welcomeavenue:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
I watched this thread and didn't answer because I am very novice but thought that judging by how her eye looked that it was a soft tissue injury and not an injury to her eye. Glad that was so!! Also glad that you were able to take her right to the vet and get her fixed up!!!

She's darling!

And yes this crew is very caring about birds!!!! Bunch of crazy bird peeps.