• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

FYI about syringes...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I have been working on an upcoming article on Handfeeding utensils. It has been an interesting journey in creating the collages, and I am learning as I go along and thought I would share.

There are a bunch more, plus I'm working on various collages showing how to use several different types of feeding utensils, and also some cautions of improper use of a few...Enjoy!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
This should be a sticky..so incredibly useful!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Sometimes things can go wrong, but quick action can save a life.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The top part of your post implies that these syringes are designed for syringe feeding. The only one mentioned that I haven't seen used for hospital applications is the eccentric luer slip tip. I think you might want to make sure that you're not saying that they're designed for different feedings so much as they're used for different feedings.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Jen, can you clarify...I don't understand what you mean.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen, can you clarify...I don't understand what you mean.
When you say the reasons that syringe tips are different, you are referring specifically to feeding methods. That's not why the tips are different. They're different to accommodate different tips, but not specifically feeding tips. The catheter tip, for example, works well for crop flushes and emptying, but that's not why it was designed that way. It's a standard syringe with a multitude of medical purposes that is unlikely to have been designed specifically for feeding baby birds. The eccentric luer tip is designed so that the needle is closer to the injection surface (I have no idea why). Glass Syringes - Eccentric Tip Syringes (Matched Numbered) | Cadence Science It works well for feeding birds, but that isn't why it is that way.

You could word it that way and most likely no one else would say anything about it. You could also change it something along the lines of why use different tips?

I'm sorry, I know you weren't looking for a critique. I really think it's fine as it is. I just wanted to let you know so that you would have additional information to work with. It really is very informative.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks Jen. The chart shows the various tips available and applicable uses for Handfeeding.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I've used crop needles to deliver medication and it was much less stressful than to have my bird constantly shaking her head after being medicated and then to be wheezing with liquids in her nose for hours following. Though it was easier, I do not recommend attempting this without first being taught by someone with crop needle experience.

Many of these tools are useful, but only when you've been taught the proper way to use them. :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
<<<crop needles to deliver medication and it was much less stressful>>>

Bailey...I fully agree, and encourage others to learn the proper use.

This will be listed as some of the Pros for suggested uses. Since I have dealt with aspiration and subsequent treatments from orally medicating, I have learned that the safest way to do this is with either a small tip extender or by crop/gavage.