• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fussy eater

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
My new cockatiel will not touch any veggies or fruit. Whe I got it the there were 5 spray millet on the cage floor and I'm wondering if that is what ate. I put nutriberries in the cage, pays no attention to it. My other cockatiel actually all my birds love their greens. Do you think when he goes back with them that seeing them dive into it that maybe it's curiosity will get the best of him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
These are my favorite videos for this topic. Hope they help you out ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It took me 3 years to get my Jardine's to eat fresh foods ;)

Yes, your other bird will help teach your new cockatiel what to eat. Birds are naturally afraid of new things, so seeing a flock member eat something helps them see it's not poison ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels tend not to be fruit eaters. I would focus on vegetables. Raw broccoli with the tops cut in small pieces is often a good start as it looks like little seeds. You can also try sprouting seeds. My cockatiels also really like freeze dried vegetables- not dehydrated as that loses too much of the nutrients- but freeze dried retains something like 95% of the nutrients.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Ok thanks. This morning he actually ate 1 pea, lol but it's a start.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I second @sunnysmom on the sprouted seeds. When they sprout, the fat content of the seed drops and other nutrients increase. I constantly have a batch of sprouts sprouting, and they are a favorite among all my birds.

I use this sprouter Easy Sprout Sprouter and this sprout mix made especially for birds Mid Bird Sprout Mix

A pound of seeds goes a long way - I use 1/4 cup of seed per batch, and the sprouts end up filling the sprouter cup almost to the top. I then put them in a baggie in the fridge, and they last about 1.5 weeks (and continue growing!)

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I second @sunnysmom on the sprouted seeds. When they sprout, the fat content of the seed drops and other nutrients increase. I constantly have a batch of sprouts sprouting, and they are a favorite among all my birds.

I use this sprouter Easy Sprout Sprouter and this sprout mix made especially for birds Mid Bird Sprout Mix

A pound of seeds goes a long way - I use 1/4 cup of seed per batch, and the sprouts end up filling the sprouter cup almost to the top. I then put them in a baggie in the fridge, and they last about 1.5 weeks (and continue growing!)
Just ordered the sprouts

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Just ordered the sprouts
Yay! Watch this video
first for a great crash course.

It's pretty simple. Start by snapping the small seed insert into the inner (perforated bottom) cup of the sprouter. Put 1/4 cup of the seed mix into the inner cup, rinse the seed well to remove any dust, then drop the inner cup all the way down into the solid outer cup and fill about halfway with water to soak for 12-ish hours. Once that 12 hour soak is done, you begin a cycle of rinsing and draining every 12 hours. I am in the habit of doing it in the morning when I'm making my coffee, and again at some point before I go to bed, times don't need to be exact. Pull the inner cup out and rinse the seeds well, move everything around, and drain very very well. Replace the inner cup into the outer cup, but this time use the elevated position for the inner cup. Set them on the kitchen counter - they don't need sunlight. 12 hours later, repeat the rinse and drain, and again in the elevated position. Usually I have a big batch of amazing sprouts in just a few days.

Once sprouted, I put them into a baggie that I only zip half closed, and store them in the fridge. A batch is enough for all my birds for a week or so, and once they run out, my new batch is done.

Lev

Moving in
Try grating the veggies if possible, in small pieces and mix them with some millet. That's how I got my boys to eat both their egg and vegetables.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Yay! Watch this video
first for a great crash course.

It's pretty simple. Start by snapping the small seed insert into the inner (perforated bottom) cup of the sprouter. Put 1/4 cup of the seed mix into the inner cup, rinse the seed well to remove any dust, then drop the inner cup all the way down into the solid outer cup and fill about halfway with water to soak for 12-ish hours. Once that 12 hour soak is done, you begin a cycle of rinsing and draining every 12 hours. I am in the habit of doing it in the morning when I'm making my coffee, and again at some point before I go to bed, times don't need to be exact. Pull the inner cup out and rinse the seeds well, move everything around, and drain very very well. Replace the inner cup into the outer cup, but this time use the elevated position for the inner cup. Set them on the kitchen counter - they don't need sunlight. 12 hours later, repeat the rinse and drain, and again in the elevated position. Usually I have a big batch of amazing sprouts in just a few days.

Once sprouted, I put them into a baggie that I only zip half closed, and store them in the fridge. A batch is enough for all my birds for a week or so, and once they run out, my new batch is done.
Thankyou for this awesome info. I can't wait to see how lemon drop will react.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
One more question, how much should I give each bird? It will be ready tomorrow.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also can my canary & bourkes eat this also?
Yes that can :)

One more question, how much should I give each bird? It will be ready tomorrow.
For small birds I usually do 1-2 tbsp worth of total fresh food. For larger I do 2-4 tbsp.

If giving just sprouts, I would try 1/2 tbsp probably to start and see how they do!

Jessira

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessica
I saw a lot of people suggesting sprouts and I 100% agree, but wanted to also suggest herbs. Jade's first "veggie" was fresh cilantro. He gave it a try and has generally been a good veg eater ever since. Though for the most part for the first couple weeks I couldn't get him to try too many new veggies, but he'd always eat his herbs. I was really surprised he tried it immediately when I offered it the first time. Ever since herbs are always a hit. If I notice he's not wanting to eat his chop, I throw in a bit of fresh herbs like a couple basil leaves, cilantro, or rosemary and it always gets him going.