• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

full flight and outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

avang07

Meeting neighbors
as the spring and summer are comming near....i am wondering what do you all friends out there reccomend for me to do. I have a full flighted CAG, however this would be my first time with him outdoors since i've gotten him, and he's just a great bird in socialization and everything. However, I want to allow him time to enjoy outside too. But what do I do? He's full flighted and don't want to clip his wings. Any alternatives? But if I have to, then I will clip some wing feathers for the sake of it, but if I don't with other alternatives then please help me out. As for the other grey, she's fine, put her outside on a perch and she's good. Please help me out with this so that everything gets their own free time to soak up the fun outside. thanks.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
what about an aviator type harness?

I would not recommend any bird outside, clipped or not, without a restraint or in a cage

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can't let him fly outside without a harness and a long tether attached. There's just way too many dangerous factors. The "Aviator" harness is the most liked and preferred harness of most bird owners. The least restrictive and easiest to get on and off. It takes a while to condition them to use it so the sooner you start conditioning him to it the better.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
The thought of a pet Grey outdoors with no means of control over it fills me with so much horror.
A dear friend of mine who has been a bird keeper for lots of years had his dear Grey Lucy on his shoulder crossing his outside yard to his office daily for the past 20yrs. Then there was a loud noise that startled Lucy and she took off despite a wing clip. She went up on a thermal of air and out of sight.
We looked for her and put out flyers and adverts in local press to find her for the next three weeks.
She was seen once on a neighbouring farm but gone when we got there. Her cage was left out with food and water incase she found it but to no avail.
Her dear starved cold wet body was found on the same farm land soon after.
Our friend has refused to keep another bird since and is a broken man. He blames himself, she was his soul mate and could talk a storm, even to answering the phone in his office with out the person on the other side suspecting they were talking to a bird!:( Don't do it with out taking extra precautions please.

Mojo's daddy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christian
i am also oging to go the route of the aviatro flight suit. i ordered one online from fosters and smith, but in the mean time while he is not suit trained. i am going to pick up some lights for inside the house. uva, uvb bulbs are a needed thing in order to produce vitamin D3 in the birds. i spoke with my vet and she told me that supplemental lighting would def not be a bad idea.

aviator, from all of the forums and research i have done is one of the best suits money can buy. however, you need to check it and make sure that the bird has not ruined the integritey of the suit each time you use it.
as for keeping the congo social, i would for now just take him in a carrier cage on car rides and walks and the such. i got a cage that i use for this and i only paid 30 bucks for it new.

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
I will agree- the Aviator Bird Harness is the best and most practical harness available, and it is designed almost especially for fully flighted birds, in that the leash part is made of 80% elastic/20% nylon, so that when your bird takes flight and reaches the end of the leash, it offers a slight resistance so that she can manuever back to you or to the ground.

All other harnesses on the market are made of 100% cotton or nylon, so when the bird reaches the end of teh leash, she is TUGGED back harshly and she hits the ground, unable to regain her balance after being tugged so hard.

Also, the Aviator harness automatically re-adjusts itself around your bird. Self-adjusting leash changes orientation as bird moves around handler. Automatically adjusts from the chest to the back as the bird climbs and flies.

They also sell the Aviator Flight line [ http://www.parrotworld.net/Aviator-Flightline-p/ah00150.htm ]which is this line that you stake into the ground and it offers your bird an unrestricted flying space of up to 50' x 80'!

Like this:

You can also attach the end of the leash up to a retractable dog leash! I have the Aviator for my fully flighted Quaker, and I have a 16' long retractable small dog leash for hers. Just be sure that the retractable leash is appropriate for your bird's size..

The leashes made for bigger dogs are usually longer, up to 32', but they are also thicker and therefore heavier for small birds who can't fly with all that weight on them.

And that's another benefit of the Aviator versus the other harnesses- they are so light weight that even the small birds can use them! I tried all the other harnesses for my Quaker, she hated them all and they were so inhibiting & heavy on her. Once I got them on her, she'd slump over like a bag of mashed potatoes.

But the Aviator was so light and uninhibiting that she stands up correctly and even flies with her Aviator on!! The smallest Aviator harness weights only 5 oz. The Aviator's weight while on a small bird is the equivillant to your bird carrying an empty backpack. Other harnesses are equivillant to your bird wearing a 300 lb. backpack! =/

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The AVIATOR is the best hands down!

A clipped bird is worst off outdoors than a fully flighted one, JMHO.

And either clipped or fully flighted, should be in a harness and the leash on your wrist at all time unless when using the AVIATOR you have it hooked the the FLIGHT LINE)

Status
Not open for further replies.