• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated with new rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What if everyone could answer but the answer was moderated before release?
That's a good idea but sometimes moderation takes quite a while too
That permission would still be driven by timing for when the mods were awake.
It was a consideration but who am I to decide what advice is good advice. The staff is not composed of vets and approving a post would basically be approving the advice.

It was an upper staff decision to limit the advice posted to veteran members and I stand by the decision we made.

Veteran members could put the forum on watch and be notified of new posts but that is solely up to them.
@Macawnutz That's what I thought. Having the mods review a reply or advice sounds great but I don't know that any admins or mods are vets. Even then, good vets won't treat an injured bird over the phone without seeing the bird first. Sight unseen, most vets will only give very basic info like what to do with a bird in shock until the vet can see it.

I've had birds since 2006 and have been given advice in a phone call twice. Once was when tiel Peeps got stuck to a fly trap in the laundry room (forbidden area for the birds) and it was strictly info to detach her from the fly trap. The second was when tiel Indie got stuck, upside down, between the bathroom stand and the tub. We never did figure out how she did that and she would've died if one of the kids friends hadn't mentioned that he thought we had a mouse in the bathroom.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

It is still the same. A link to the rules, the how to post forum, the welcome lane and the emergency forum. That welcome email is from @expressmailtome and my myself and if you reply to it Matthew is more then willing to help you.

That's great, still wondering if perhaps a check off box should be included to confirm new members read it. That covers your butt... I'm looking at legal aspects. Because how many out there just delete it and not read it?
That should be check or confirmed by newbies before any further posts of any kind, to confirm they acknowledge the rules and regulations set down in this forum....then there's no need at all in future for a thread like this one here. It will be a case of someone not reading the rules.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I honestly have the 911 Forum on ignore... As sad as that sounds. Too many years of giving advice and no one listens to it anyways half the time. I can think of several threads that I stayed up late or devoted a lot of time to, just to have someone ignore all that advice and the bird dies. It's too heartbreaking.

So if I'm online and not answering a thread there, that's why.

Most emergencies that we can help with come to a few key points :

Get your bird to fresh air
Dawn works for glue traps
Animal attacks are always a vet visit
Cornstarch/flour work to stop bleeding in a pinch

Know what your closest 3 vets are at all times. Know who sees birds, as they may be closer than an Avian vet. Know their hours, know their emergency protocols, and have their number and address programmed into your phone NOW. That way they are a few clicks and a GPS route away.
I'll eyeball the beginning info on the thread and usually don't reply because I don't have that bird in my flock or I'm getting an idea of what's going to happen. It may also look like I'm on perpetually because I don't log out.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm up until 1-1:30amCDT, I'm allowed to post so you can tag or send me a pm also. I'll try to help when possible.
I am trying to be a good bird community supporter. The decision to limit those that can reply is their decision NOT OURS.
I made the offer out of the goodness of my heart. If that is not good enough for some members, tough bounce. I'm trying to help that's all.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Avian Avenue is picked up by google, so when people search different things we come up. So pretty much it is the very new bird owner or never had a sick bird owner posting in 911.
I remember we were number 1 with sick macaw search terms. And all the googlers would come here lol
We are not changing the rules.
Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions both those who disagree and those that agree. There is always good and bad.
Let’s see how it goes!
If you feel you have experience and not confrontational, or one to judge others, we can certainly allow you to post.
Right now let’s see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.