• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frozen Pom Seeds!! <Ohh Saroj!!>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
So ...

Yesterday I made my bi-monthly trek to Trader Joes <love that place!!>

As I'm going thru the frozen foods section, I see .. wait, what is THIS!!
:omg:

Pomegranate seeds!! All nice and clean and frozen in a big bag!! :dance4::dance5::dance4:

Being Poms seem to be gone now, can you guess who bought 10 bags of Pom seeds??? :D

Just thought I'd let those of you who are Pom People know .. no cutting, no cleaning, no squirting juice everywhere .. and Pom seeds even in "non-Pom" season.

Also got some bags of frozen mango, papaya, black raspberries .. all just looked so good!!

Today I am going to make a giant "fruit salad" for the fiddos, enough for a month, and freeze in portions like I do with their veggie/grain mash.

Woot!! <Yeah, I know, but it's the small things in life that get me going, lol .. like not having to de-seed a Pomegranate!!> :hehe::dance4:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
yay!!!! Happy happy birdies!!:dancing::dancing:
so lucky you have Trader Joe's there! 10 bags, :wow:
If my poms stay good i should last into april.....:D
lol, me too, little things excite me :hehe:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
LOL, wow, that is awesome! I have a small container filled with pom seeds that I got a few months ago, and they are in the birdroom freezer, going to get a few more in the next few weeks.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I've seen them at Whole foods but they are like $8 for a tiny bag. Maybe I'll have to check out Trader Joes instead.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahh ..

$3.99 for a good sized bag at TJ's!! I can live with $3.99 to have Poms out of season, and .. not have to de-seed them!!

I've seen them at Whole foods but they are like $8 for a tiny bag. Maybe I'll have to check out Trader Joes instead.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
How do you defrost the frozen fruits so they're not all mushy and gross?? I've tried it before but the birds looked at me like, you're kidding, right??

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Usually .. frozen fruits, no matter what you do, are gonna be a bit mushy.

I use frozen fruits to make a huge "bird sorbet" kinda thing. You can use fresh fruit as well .. just depends what's in season .. I'm really picky .. and buy as much organic as I can when available since fruit growers use a lot of pesticides, esp. those imported from other countries .. and fruit tends to absorb quite a bit of these pesticides that can't be "washed" off.

I just take whatever fruit I wanna use, and put them all thru the blender to they're really smooth .. looks like a sorbet!!

I freeze in portions and add a bit each day to their veggie/bean/grain mash. I find that with the addition of the fruit puree, the birds are way more "accepting" of veggies and such. Just a touch of "sweetness", goes a long way.

I also give them fresh, in season fruits, that I just chop up daily, but really haven't found a way to make frozen fruits less mushy

How do you defrost the frozen fruits so they're not all mushy and gross?? I've tried it before but the birds looked at me like, you're kidding, right??

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
that is a great way to do it Merlie, thanks for the idea!!

lucky you to find frozen poms!! :thumbsup:

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
That's great! I personally love to defruit Poms. I find it relaxing and LOVE picking the kernels out. My daughter does too. We fight over who gets to do more. LOL

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I would love to have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods here! I just found out yesterday that we are going to get a Fresh Market ~ Yea!

Status
Not open for further replies.