• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frodo's weird bathtime game

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
So Frodo has this weird thing he does sometimes when my roommate or I are bathing. Obviously there are no pictures of this bathtime phenomenon, although we have discussed the possibility of one of us trying going in with a bathing suit on so the other could come in and try to capture his antics on video.

Usually he is happy to sit on the curtain rail or the shower head and enjoy the steam while yelling his squeaky little head off, as he has his own personal spa (the kitchen sink) that he uses for his own bathing. But sometimes he'll grab onto my hair and start flapping madly around across my back/neck from one shoulder to the other. The first couple of times he did this I actually thought he was caught in my hair and trying to get loose, but no, he could fly back up to the curtain rod any time, and would then come back down to play in my hair again, apparently for the fun of it. Once I realized he wasn't actually in any distress, it made me laugh my head off between the tickliness of the flapping wings and how silly he was being.

He's done this to both me and my roommate on several different occasions, always when the water is running. My guess as to why he might do this is because he's a canopy bird, and it triggers some kind of instinct to go frolic in the damp foliage in the "rain"? (Although he's done it even before we've gotten our hair wet, so not sure on that front.)

Does anybody else have a bird that does anything like this, or is Frodo just a weird little dude?

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Lol, BellaBelle (yellow sided gcc) does a version of this, too! If I am showering, but not washing my hair, I'll pile my hair into a messy bun high on my head. Bella grips my hair just above the nape of my neck and shifts from side to side fluttering her wings and generally having a ball in the spray that kicks up from my shoulders.

And, yes, it is such an exuberantly joyful display that I can't help but laugh every time she does it :hug8::heart::hug8:

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Lol, BellaBelle (yellow sided gcc) does a version of this, too! If I am showering, but not washing my hair, I'll pile my hair into a messy bun high on my head. Bella grips my hair just above the nape of my neck and shifts from side to side fluttering her wings and generally having a ball in the spray that kicks up from my shoulders.

And, yes, it is such an exuberantly joyful display that I can't help but laugh every time she does it :hug8::heart::hug8:
I know, right?! Happy flappy frolic time is soooo much fun! I'm glad he's not the only one who does it. Wonder if it's a gcc thing?

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That's so awesome!

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
Triton goes crazy with any running water. I bet its a GCC thing. Anyways, you'll have to show us that! It sounds adorable and hilarious!

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I know, right?! Happy flappy frolic time is soooo much fun! I'm glad he's not the only one who does it. Wonder if it's a gcc thing?
Happy Flappy Frolic Time! There's the title if you ever do the bathing suit video

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Not certain if it's the same thing, but whenever Glacier is out and about she flies to my head and wiggles back and forth. We call it the birdy wiggle. She doesn't do it in water though, Glacier hates water!