• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flying an Eclectus?

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
Before I ever got my birds, I knew I would like to train them in free flight, so I've been looking around for people that train free flight in my area. I've found someone within a couple hours of me and she says she will be able to train my gcc as she's trained a handful before, however she is unwilling the train my eclectus. She says to fly an eclectus you absolutely need a second eclectus as an anchor or else they will just wonder and not come back. Is this an actual thing or does it just sound like a bird who is not properly trained that won't come back?

And by her "training" them, I just mean her basically mentoring me to train them myself.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The fact that she's willing to train a GCC rings alarm bells for me. Free flying the little ones tends to be discouraged because they can be killed by a hawk or falcon so easily. Has she talked to you about this?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The fact that she's willing to train a GCC rings alarm bells for me. Free flying the little ones tends to be discouraged because they can be killed by a hawk or falcon so easily. Has she talked to you about this?
That would be a big concern for me too. Are you located in a busy area with lots of predatory birds? I would re-think free flying a conure, and also even your eclectus if you are in a dangerous area.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Agreed with this, never seen any reputable trainer ENCOURAGE freeflying a little

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
She did talk about predatory birds with me, she said they are usually only a problem in fall and early spring when it's harder them to find food and of course said she didn't fly during those times. She also recommended long term flying small birds with other birds which is why I brought up my eclectus.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
She also recommended long term flying small birds with other birds which is why I brought up my eclectus.
I can see the sense in that, but a decent bird of prey could take a macaw out the sky with ease. I don't want you to feel we are being mean, as we are not. We just want to make sure whatever you choose, you don't risk the life of any of your birds.

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
I can see the sense in that, but a decent bird of prey could take a macaw out the sky with ease. I don't want you to feel we are being mean, as we are not. We just want to make sure whatever you choose, you don't risk the life of any of your birds.
Oh no, I completely get that, I understand the concern and I would never want to risk my birds as they are my little babies. But my main question at hand, am I unable to fly a single eclectus?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Oh no, I completely get that, I understand the concern and I would never want to risk my birds as they are my little babies. But my main question at hand, am I unable to fly a single eclectus?
I really couldn't tell you that, I'm sorry. I know absolutely nothing about free flight. Hopefully someone does

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've only found a couple of things about free flying Eclectus in the internet. Followign are a couple of excerpts.

' Is your bird an eclectus male who will be driven beyond any interest in you, a human, to find a bird mate when it nears/reaches sexual maturity?"

I have seen an eclectus female disappear in the middle of a wide open prairie, only to be found by chance in a prairie dog burrow.

Chris Biro states that he has never flown an eclectus, but he knows of a couple of people who have done so successfully. Eclectus do not seem to be one of the favored birds to free fly.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't even fly my ~250g Pionus. A city pigeon is about 300g and they get taken out by pretty much any bird of prey. A little female sparrowhawk managed to take down a pigeon bigger than her on my friend's patio. A GCC, weighing about 60-80g, is basically a snack. Predatory birds are a problem year round, especially for a small, brightly coloured bird that isn't flying in an actual flock.

Flying different species of birds is also a problem. They probably won't recognise each other as their flock which they want to stay with.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm not sure, but if you're unsure about this, maybe trying it somewhere huge but enclosed at first is a good idea, like a horse arena.

Does anyone do this with smaller birds?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm not sure, but if you're unsure about this, maybe trying it somewhere huge but enclosed at first is a good idea, like a horse arena.

I read once of a group of larger bird owners getting together and renting sports halls for exercize :)

JSyle

Meeting neighbors

Well the mentor I was speaking too specializes in smaller birds, she has trained gcc, suns, cockatiels ect.
Also my eclectus is a female if that makes a difference which is seems to do.
I think an enclosed area outside would be a good idea before I tried anything else (of course when they are ready to go outside).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can I ask what country you’re in?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, there are quite a few people who free fly the smaller birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There is a group here that fly a mix of birds. The smaller ones don’t tend to fly as far out as the large birds but they also never seem to fly the smaller birds without the large ones.

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
If you search free flying eclectus on you tube you'll find a lot of videos of people flying theirs without the issues your trainer mentioned. The biggest problem I've heard with flying eclectus has to do with the males being green, which makes them harder to track at a distance. There are also many people that free fly smaller birds as well however you have to consider the danger, some feel it's worth it for their parrots to get a chance to fly as they are meant to. If you do decide to free fly I highly suggest finding a local club to join. The larger the flock the safer your parrots will be, plus the added number of eyes on the ground looking for trouble helps as well. You can and should invest in a tracker as accidents happen, your bird takes a scare or gets hit with a strong wind and gets lost. A tracking device could save their lives. A couple companies make them now here's one.

But most importantly don't even consider it untill your parrots are extremely well trained without issues and in perfect health. When in doubt some free flyer clubs have access to large local buildings or aviarys where parrots can fly in safety.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
There are also many people that free fly smaller birds as well however you have to consider the danger, some feel it's worth it for their parrots to get a chance to fly as they are meant to
That seems quite contradictory! If you think they should be able to fly like they would in the wild them why did they get a pet bird!?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Ali I think it would mean, people trying to offer flight as enrichment to try to mimic wild life, as captive birds cannot be released.