• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight Sanctuaries/Refuges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
There are two posts tonight that brough on this question. The first one was about what would happen to our birds when we die. The second was a link to a bird refuge in Canada....

Do you guys know if there are refuges like this in the US? I know of one in Florida that seems nice. But there HAS to be better options for our babies than the unknown.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
There are some beautiful ones.

The thing I always worry about is how they will be able to sustain themselves after the founder is gone. There is one that is set up really well financially from what I understand or "heard" I *think* its the Oasis

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
You know, I was thinking that too. Thanks. I'm going to look them up.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Most sanctuaries do not believe in treating birds like pets. They are just left to be birds. So if you have a very human boned bird, they might not do best in this type of situation. At the rescue we are partners with a Sanctuary in TX. We send them birds who do not like people. They once had to send us a bird (a cockatoo) that had started self mutilating after being taken to the sanctuary because he was too human bonded and missed the attention of people. He stopped mutilating and plucking immediately and is now fully feathered.
Another thing to consider is that Sanctuaries are very full most of the time and they would rather take the wild caught, ex breeders, completely untame birds that most people couldn't have in their homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.