• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found parakeet(budgie) outside

Marie1428

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marie
Hi.Two days ago my mom mentioned she saw a lady walking and trying to catch a bird that looked like a parakeet (budgie) in the front yard. When my mom went out to look for it she couldn’t find it. The following day as I was returning home she said it was in the front yard hopping around again. Itwas pouring rain in the morning and cold. It was still raining when I saw the bird. We were able to capture it since it was unable to fly. About 5 minutes later we found a cage to put in in. I placed the bird in different room since I own another bird. My dad went to buy food for the bird. He returned about 40 minutes later and we offered the bird food and water. He was not interested in the food or water. About an hour or two later the bird started to seizure for several minutes and passed away. I’m not sure if someone abandoned this bird outside or it escaped. I know it was not wild and couldn’t fly so I did not want to leave it to get eaten by a cat, wild animal or starve. My plan was to find the owner. I tried my best to help but unfortunately it did not work out. Do you think the bird died from stress or hypoglycemia from being outside and not eating? I know I need an actual necropsy to find out but just wanted to see if someone that has more experience with birds had any other ideas? Should I have done something differently?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Without a necropsy no one can say.

I’d be quite concerned about your bird after bringing the budgie inside, keep a close eye out for any changes in energy, poop, behaviour, appetite etc.
The budgie may have been diseased or maybe just very stressed and unwell from his time outside- fingers crossed he died from natural causes due to being exposed to the weather and possibly not eating well.

If this happens again always put your bird first- keep the found bird out in your garage or something. Not worth putting your bird at risk to help an unknown bird- I know it sounds heartless but it’s not worth the gamble.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It could have been any number of things - shock is likely. I hope if there is an owner out there looking for it that you can find them and give them closure. As someone who has lost a bird and never found it, not knowing what happened to her sucks. I would have liked to know that someone tried.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Mizzely. Maybe you can still turn this story to good by looking for the owner. If you have pre-death photos, that may help & if you don't you could find a picture of a similar looking budgie online. There are a lot of common mutations & it's possible this bird was one.