• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found friendly parakeet

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Hi everyone. My fiancé was fishing today and a very nice parakeet flew to him. So we’re guessing they have a home but gotten out. We’re fostering for now in hopes of finding s/hes home. Any advice on going about this? It’s in long island NY.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi everyone. My fiancé was fishing today and a very nice parakeet flew to him. So we’re guessing they have a home but gotten out. We’re fostering for now in hopes of finding s/hes home. Any advice on going about this? It’s in long island NY.
Do you have any Facebook lost found pets in your area?

Also 911 parrot alert is good place to list. Craigslist lost found in your area. You can contact a nearby shelter and report the bird too.

Sometimes, heaven sends us precious nuggets! ;)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Do you have any Facebook lost found pets in your area?

Also 911 parrot alert is good place to list. Craigslist lost found in your area. You can contact a nearby shelter and report the bird too.

Sometimes, heaven sends us precious nuggets! ;)
Yes heaven does lol

911parrotalert is a website? im going to try craigslist and post found signs by where he found the little guy. I’m going to take him to get his age this afternoon so I know what to ask people when they call

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes heaven does lol

911parrotalert is a website? im going to try craigslist and post found signs by where he found the little guy. I’m going to take him to get his age this afternoon so I know what to ask people when they call
If anyone calls, make sure they can describe in detail the color! I wouldn't post a color, maybe say the main color of body. I would have them describe wing colors and the sex if they know.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
A couple of budgies lost for a few days;
Oh, how horrible, losing them on the 4th of July in America. All those bangs and crashes or fireworks. I hate to think how they are managing, if they even made it. :(

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
@Zara thank you I’m going to post on them to see if theirs any hits. Thank you for sending me those 2 the one he has looks similar but has white cap with bats on the neck. I’ll get a good picture when I get home. The poor birdy was so hungry and tired. He kept eating and took a nap. Guess he feels comfortable which is good !

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does the bird have a leg band on?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As others have said, don't describe the bird in detail. Don't mention colour in detail, sex, whether they have a leg ring, cere colour or similar. Don't post a photo in a public space like this site, facebook, or on any posters. Sadly, unscrupulous people will try to convince you that the bird is theirs to try to get a free bird.

Do take the bird to a vet for a health check and to see whether they've been microchipped.

You can also alert local vets that you've found a bird.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
As others have said, don't describe the bird in detail. Don't mention colour in detail, sex, whether they have a leg ring, cere colour or similar. Don't post a photo in a public space like this site, facebook, or on any posters. Sadly, unscrupulous people will try to convince you that the bird is theirs to try to get a free bird.

Do take the bird to a vet for a health check and to see whether they've been microchipped.

You can also alert local vets that you've found a bird.
Thank you I deff won’t post anything about the birdys looks.
mad far as vets are I’ve called a couple andgave my name and number Incase they get a call. But no luck. Will keep trying thou.
Is there a special forum here that I could possible post about it and give a general area and see if anyone might know

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It may be that you are not able to find the birds owners, but it is noble to try.

Start thinking of arrangements now (where will the bird be housed, which cage, any other supplies you may need, extra bowls etc), and in a week or two if noone steps forward, then buy the things on your list and start transitioning the bird into your family, (or find him a new home if you cannot keep him).

When I found Aldora, I only named her one month to the day of finding her on my doorstep after failing to find her owners, she was nameless and in quarantine in my kitchen for that 4 week period.