• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

found bamboo how do i know if it’s safe

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
i know i post a lot on this forum but i wanna make sure my birds are safe before putting anything in their cage. i found a stalk of very dry very wood like bamboo in the backyard for my boyfriend. we were gonna use it as a rod but decided not too do so. i got the idea to use it to replace the dowel perches that came with their cage with something more diy and kinda recycled and with something more natural and durable (all their perches are natural but they have 2 long dowel perches) however with research i saw that lucky bamboo is toxic too them. how do i know? this question may be crazy so i put it in this forum because no one else could answer it because it’s kinda technical. here’s said bamboo stalk if anyone knows! IMG_6111.PNG i’

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Where do you live? (Since I assume this is a wild plant you found.). Lucy bamboo only grows in ver warm climates.

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
Where do you live? (Since I assume this is a wild plant you found.). Lucy bamboo only grows in ver warm climates.
i live in ohio in the US. i’m not sure if it was growing but it was in the soil and dried out. it was hallow if that means anything, in ohio summers get veryyy humid. but i’m not sure if it’s true bamboo or lucky bamboo. my boyfriend tried bending it and it’s not bendable like lucky bamboo but then again…it’s dry and kinda dead.

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
if i’m being honest i’m not confident that it was growing. i’m just going by what my boyfriend says. the only information he’s giving me is “it was in the ground i pulled it out and snapped it” was all i got out of him lol.yes ohio weather gets humid in the summer but the weather is never stable. it’s snowed in the middle of spring. so it’s hard telling if it was growing or wild

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Better to be safe than sorry. If you don’t know for sure then don’t use it.

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
Better to be safe than sorry. If you don’t know for sure then don’t use it.
that’s what i’m thinking but i got more info from my boyfriend. it was over 6 ft and lucky bamboo in the wild is 5 ft. so i think we’re all good.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
It looks to me like a bamboo pole you use for garden stakes, honestly. Awfully dry and not green at all.

Which is useful because I’ve got a lot of these!

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
It looks to me like a bamboo pole you use for garden stakes, honestly. Awfully dry and not green at all.

Which is useful because I’ve got a lot of these!
that’s exactly what it looks like! this house we’re was his grandma’s house and she does indeed have a garden. had to look it up. still not sure if i should put it in their cage and just find something else to replace the dowel. rather to be safe than sorry.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You might find it’s too slippery for your lovebird and wide
Wides ok but really they need something to grip onto like cork bark etc bamboo is really smooth
Even Java branches I’ve found my gcc can grip but my lovebirds do slip a bit

I would personally find something else

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Are you sure this isn’t just a garden stake?

cinnobee

Meeting neighbors
You might find it’s too slippery for your lovebird and wide
Wides ok but really they need something to grip onto like cork bark etc bamboo is really smooth
Even Java branches I’ve found my gcc can grip but my lovebirds do slip a bit

I would personally find something else
i definitely will. thank you!!