• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found baby grackle, in Canada, no rehab ctre. Pleasehelp! (Sad Update- Post #3)

Chrism7121

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christine
I would like this tiny baby to live. I have been giving it ground cat food and water. It fell from the nest in a pine tree in our yard. Too high to put back. I left it outside but no parent birds came all day so I took it in. I really don't know what else to feed it. When can it start eating seeds or bits of worms? Which I have to buy as I can't find in my yard. Please help. It seems to be getting weaker... thanks PXL_20230528_234123775.jpg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest meal worms, with the heads removed. Do not used dried meal worms, as they have very little nutritional value. Dip them in Pedialyte until it shows improvement, then switch to dipping them in water. Keep it warm & out of the sun. Once it shows a lot of improvement you can start adding mushed cat food, other insects, small amounts of scrambled egg. You should feed it at least 4 times a day & always first thing in the morning & before dark/bedtime. It will require at least 50+ meal worms a day.

Chrism7121

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christine
I'd suggest meal worms, with the heads removed. Do not used dried meal worms, as they have very little nutritional value. Dip them in Pedialyte until it shows improvement, then switch to dipping them in water. Keep it warm & out of the sun. Once it shows a lot of improvement you can start adding mushed cat food, other insects, small amounts of scrambled egg. You should feed it at least 4 times a day & always first thing in the morning & before dark/bedtime. It will require at least 50+ meal worms a day.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I wish I had found this site and gotten your feedback a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, all I could do is try to look after it as best I could but it wasn't enough. Baby passed early today. I'm so very sorry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I wish I had found this site and gotten your feedback a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, all I could do is try to look after it as best I could but it wasn't enough. Baby passed early today. I'm so very sorry.
I’m so sorry you had that experience and the baby passed away.
You’re a treasure for trying to help it :bighug:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww sorry.

rabbitic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tommy (they/he)
you did your absolute best. there can be so many reasons things happen with nestlings, some not even visible unless you're a professional or know exactly what to look for. it takes a big heart and a lot of dedication to watch after an abandoned baby bird, so you can rest easy knowing you gave this little guy a chance he really deserved and he passed on in good hands. :sadhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.