• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a parakeet!

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
20230607_202059.jpg
We found this cutie in our barn yesterday. We had to net it to catch it. So we went to the pet store and got a cheap little setup for it til we see if we can find it's owners. It seems to be eating and drinking, chirping to its mirror a little. It's sleeping a lot but it's only been back in captivity for about 20 hrs. I covered most of the cage w a light fabric last night to hopefully help it sleep. I believe it is fairly young and not sure of gender. Might try to get it in to a vet that sees birds on Monday. That is earliest we can do that. Any thoughts?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Gosh poor baby, I wonder where it came from. It is definitely very young.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He’s a young male. I’m sure someone’s looking for him! Poor baby!

avian2023

Strolling the yard
Thanks for your kindness and taking good care.. if you dont mind can i please ask what is the nesting material you used.

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks for your kindness and taking good care.. if you dont mind can i please ask what is the nesting material you used.
This was just some hay that was in the carrier previously. We put the bird in there until we could get an appropriate cage.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Thats a cute baby boy!

What city are u in? Maybe go around putting up some flyers if possible?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don’t post pics.

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Pretty young little bird, and I'm thinking he/she is specifically an English budgie. A good age to start handling and taming. You mentioned hay, are you also a horse person?

The advice to not post pictures is about having the original owner confirm that it is indeed their bird, rather than someone who just wants a free new pet...

My first budgie was also a foundling. Good luck tracking down the owner, but be aware that you may not be able to find them.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a cute baby!! I hope you can find his owners!

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Pretty young little bird, and I'm thinking he/she is specifically an English budgie. A good age to start handling and taming. You mentioned hay, are you also a horse person?

The advice to not post pictures is about having the original owner confirm that it is indeed their bird, rather than someone who just wants a free new pet...

My first budgie was also a foundling. Good luck tracking down the owner, but be aware that you may not be able to find them.
Yes, also a horse person...and goat, and chicken and duck...lol

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
View attachment 430469
We found this cutie in our barn yesterday. We had to net it to catch it. So we went to the pet store and got a cheap little setup for it til we see if we can find it's owners. It seems to be eating and drinking, chirping to its mirror a little. It's sleeping a lot but it's only been back in captivity for about 20 hrs. I covered most of the cage w a light fabric last night to hopefully help it sleep. I believe it is fairly young and not sure of gender. Might try to get it in to a vet that sees birds on Monday. That is earliest we can do that. Any thoughts?
Update on baby blue. He is doing alot better today. Not near as puffy and looking around his environment more. No word on possible owners. I have been searching lost/found. But we are in Kentucky, not the best state noted for its animal welfare unfortunately. Sorry if I'm not posting correctly. First time using this forum. Thanks for all advice!

Attachments

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We got Pippen because she landed on a guy working in a warehouse somewhat close to where we live and he saw my lost bird ad for Lurch, a Maxi Pionus. Pippen is mostly green and that's the only similarity. She's yellow sided Green Cheek and when he said he couldn't safely take care of her with cats and dogs at home so we went and got her. Put up found ads, got quite a few responses but none were definitely her so after some time we adopted her and she's been here happily two years now.
Do your best to find the family but you might just have gotten a new bird to add to your flock.
Pippen was completely Fluffy and worn out when she got here too but after a few days food and rest she became quite feisty and was pronounced healthy at her checkup and 65 grams. She's 85 grams now and bigger but still healthy and feisty. I hope the family finds him but if not I think he's in a good home and maybe consider a well bird checkup.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for caring for this little boy.

I will add that since he is so young, he may even be from a nearby neighbour. Do you know of anyone who breeds budgies around you?

Parrot community people may check ParrotAlert. You could try making a posting there.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is there a pet store near you? Maybe he is an escapee. Is there a band on lower leg? Offer fresh greens like romaine lettuce. Call nearby vets to see if anyone reported a missing bird. Good things his flight feathers are in tact.

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you for caring for this little boy.

I will add that since he is so young, he may even be from a nearby neighbour. Do you know of anyone who breeds budgies around you?

Parrot community people may check ParrotAlert. You could try making a posting there.

Thank you!! I will try that site.

alsmah

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Is there a pet store near you? Maybe he is an escapee. Is there a band on lower leg? Offer fresh greens like romaine lettuce. Call nearby vets to see if anyone reported a missing bird. Good things his flight feathers are in tact.
There is no band on his leg unfortunately. Would it have to be a private home breeder then? I would assume any bird from a pet store would have to have a leg band?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They don’t all have leg bands.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He is just an escapee that found you. Can you keep him since he chose you?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Sweet little guy! He looks almost just like Merlin when he was a baby. Glad to hear he seems more comfortable now-- lucky baby not to have been nabbed by a predator.