• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Formula Temperature Question

RinnLord

Moving in
I just started hand feeding my 3 week old Cockatiel chicks today. They're a little skeptical since it's their first time too. I'm using a syringe right now, and as per someone else's recommendation, I pre-filled all of my syringes, but of course as I'm feeding the first baby the rest of the syringes get cold. My question is how to keep the formula warm in between feeding different babies? After the first two chicks, the rest of the babies really didn't want to eat, and I'm assuming it's because it was cold. Is there a better way to feed the babies and keep the formula warm?

Thank you!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Feeding formula at the incorrect temperature can cause issues you definitely don't want for your chicks. If their eyes are opened when you pull them from the nest they don't see you as a food source right away and sometimes can take a day or two to accept being fed by you. I would not pre-fill your syringes. Prepare your formula in one bowl ( or cup) and check the temperature of this formula... it should be between 104-107 degrees Fahrenheit. You'll need another container filled with enough water at the same temperature to set you cup of formula into to keep it warm through your feedings. If the tip of the syringe gets messy you may dip it in the water to clean it off to avoid dripping formula on the chicks... less messy. You definitely need to use a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the formula. Feeding too cold can cause crop issues.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Feeding the correct temperature is crucial. I assume you mean you prepared them all at once then begin feeding? Most people use a bowl of hot water to keep them warm.

RinnLord

Moving in
Feeding formula at the incorrect temperature can cause issues you definitely don't want for your chicks. If their eyes are opened when you pull them from the nest they don't see you as a food source right away and sometimes can take a day or two to accept being fed by you. I would not pre-fill your syringes. Prepare your formula in one bowl ( or cup) and check the temperature of this formula... it should be between 104-107 degrees Fahrenheit. You'll need another container filled with enough water at the same temperature to set you cup of formula into to keep it warm through your feedings. If the tip of the syringe gets messy you may dip it in the water to clean it off to avoid dripping formula on the chicks... less messy. You definitely need to use a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the formula. Feeding too cold can cause crop issues.
Thank you so much for this information! I've had Cockatiels now almost 25 years (age 5 to almost 30) but I've only ever owned weaned adults and have not had the prior experience to hand feed chicks. I've done all I can to learn about baby Cockatiels from before the eggs are laid to weaning, and I've not had anyone near me that I know that could guide me expertly in this process (which I started learning about 7 months ago prior to even having baby tiels). I have all of my birds' best interests in mind but of course have been hoping no one "bashes" me for being new. So I thank you so much for your kindness! You have been a big help!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you so much for this information! I've had Cockatiels now almost 25 years (age 5 to almost 30) but I've only ever owned weaned adults and have not had the prior experience to hand feed chicks. I've done all I can to learn about baby Cockatiels from before the eggs are laid to weaning, and I've not had anyone near me that I know that could guide me expertly in this process (which I started learning about 7 months ago prior to even having baby tiels). I have all of my birds' best interests in mind but of course have been hoping no one "bashes" me for being new. So I thank you so much for your kindness! You have been a big help!
We can't stress how important it is to have a mentor to guide you through the process of hand rearing prior to even thinking about pulling chicks to hand feed. More importantly.... the occasions where chicks are abandoned or picked on my the parents. We've seen it quite a bit through the years and most people aren't prepared with all the necessities. With that said.... how are you set up for these babies? When you pulled from the nest what did you place them in ( a brooder)? We're glad to help but the more information you can provide regarding your brooder and supplies, brand of formula.. etc. Share some photos if you like... which I suggest. There was one person who put shredded foam in her nest box- because she thought it was so soft. This was an extremely dangerous thing to do, the parents could have ingested the foam as well as the babies in the box. So, I'm glad I asked for photos. I couldn't make out what the material was and asked. If you can provide some photos we can see if your set-up is as should be.

RinnLord

Moving in
Feeding the correct temperature is crucial. I assume you mean you prepared them all at once then begin feeding? Most people use a bowl of hot water to keep them warm.
Yes, I had read that someone prepped all of the syringes before feeding each baby but I learned real quick that that wasn't the way to do it. I did not think that keeping the formula over a bowl of hot water would work because I thought the water would also cool off quickly, but I found that putting my formula cup inside of a Yeti thermos with hot water worked splendidly! So now I just fill up my syringes one by one as I need them.

Like I told @Mockinbirdiva, I've had birds for YEARS but never chicks, and I want to do so very well by my babies without causing them harm or stressing them. But this is the end of day 3 of me feeding them, and they are ALL eating as they should be! I stuck with it patiently and gently and now they eat like champs :) The right temperature and the right amount (they are 3 weeks old, and they're eating about 8 ml of formula before they're full).

Thanks so much for your help too! I'm very satisfied that they are doing well and that their parents are doing okay too after removing the chicks and nest box.

RinnLord

Moving in
We try to help, not bash! @Mockinbirdiva knows her stuff. She will not steer you wrong.

Are the babies okay?
Thank you! Yes, the babies are okay and as of today (the 3rd full day of hand feeding them) they are all eating as they should be. I'm seeing full crops at the end of each bird's feeding. And they're enthusiastically eating too. Thanks again!

(my profile pic is my current clutch I'm feeding). The ad is a Normal gray and Mom is a Whiteface Pearl.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you! Yes, the babies are okay and as of today (the 3rd full day of hand feeding them) they are all eating as they should be. I'm seeing full crops at the end of each bird's feeding. And they're enthusiastically eating too. Thanks again!

(my profile pic is my current clutch I'm feeding). The ad is a Normal gray and Mom is a Whiteface Pearl.
I can't see what type of bedding material you have the chicks in.. what is it? I'm very happy the babies are eating so well too.

RinnLord

Moving in
I cu
I can't see what type of bedding material you have the chicks in.. what is it? I'm very happy the babies are eating so well too.
I currently have them on soft pine shavings, which have been scattered on top of plain white paper towels (which are on top of plain white old school cloth diapers to protect them from the undertank heating pad). I went with pine shavings because that's what I was already using in their nest box. Do you recommend anything different?

Also, I have one more question for you in regards to hand feeding. They are eating SOO well, I'm really encouraged! They've been eating every 4-5 hours at the longest and about 7-10 mL each. It just so happens that today I could hear them begging for food and begging each other for food before the next feeding time. When I went to check on them, they were showing signs of hunger but some of their crops hadn't emptied yet. My question is: do I feed them a little anyway, despite still having food in their crops? Or let them wait until they have empty crops? I know they shouldn't be overfed. But since they were acting hungry (and taking food when I offered) I wasn't sure what is best to do.

Thank again so much!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I cu

I currently have them on soft pine shavings, which have been scattered on top of plain white paper towels (which are on top of plain white old school cloth diapers to protect them from the undertank heating pad). I went with pine shavings because that's what I was already using in their nest box. Do you recommend anything different?

Also, I have one more question for you in regards to hand feeding. They are eating SOO well, I'm really encouraged! They've been eating every 4-5 hours at the longest and about 7-10 mL each. It just so happens that today I could hear them begging for food and begging each other for food before the next feeding time. When I went to check on them, they were showing signs of hunger but some of their crops hadn't emptied yet. My question is: do I feed them a little anyway, despite still having food in their crops? Or let them wait until they have empty crops? I know they shouldn't be overfed. But since they were acting hungry (and taking food when I offered) I wasn't sure what is best to do.

Thank again so much!
Aspen shavings are my choice of bedding material. Just make sure you have at least two inches thickness of the shavings for them to rest on. They may be fine with a little less as long as they're able to keep their legs under them and avoid becoming splay legged. During the day if they have a little food left in the crop you can give them their next feeding. If the crop is still very full after 4 hours I would not feed. You may be mixing your formula too thick if they aren't digesting most of it in that span of time. You should be feeding 10% of their body weight so it's important you weigh your chicks before the first feeding of the day. You should let their crops completely empty over night - 12:00 pm - 6:00am