• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging - Must up the Anti :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
So far, with Pru we've just been working on her being handled and used to us and everything.
Well this morning I thought Id start her on some foraging toys.
She has some in her cage but hasnt really done anything with them, so I thought Id try to teach her.
So I took her out of her cage, put her on her playstand....showed her a nutriberry, showed her that I was putting it inside one of those wooden honey pots with a lid attached to a chain. I closed the lid. She touched it with her beak, and walked away...I opened the lid, and showed her the nutriberry again, and just as she went for it I closed the lid. She walked up to it, grabbed the chain with her beak, tossed the lid aside and grabbed the nutriberry!!!! Just like that!! She figured it out in 15 Seconds!! LOL
Im going to have to up the anti here if I expect this to be stimulating for her, LOL

This is the toy Im reffering to:
http://www.birdsjustwannahavefun.com/images/wood_foraging_set.jpg
Except min had a side mount thing, and a chain attaching the lid to the pot so it wont fall to the ground.

She now rips that lid off every few minutes hoping another treat will be in there Im assuming, LOL

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Cuuutee! Where did you get that version of the sidemount foraging pot?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I bought it at a local parrot store called Parrotdise Perch - I just checked their website and it doesnt appear to be on there ......?? Weird!
I will see if I can take a picture of it for you later.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love watching Michael play with his foraging toys as well!

Matt

MollyMouse

That Prudence is one smart girl and so cute aswell:heart:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I know, Im not sure if its normal for them to pick up on this stuff so quickly (it probably is) but I feel like a new mom, so impressed by her every accomplishment, LOL

After a few hours she actually started replacing the lid herself, then taking it off again, as if she though the lid being on replenished the snack! LOL

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
So far, with Pru we've just been working on her being handled and used to us and everything.
She has some in her cage but hasnt really done anything with them, so I thought Id try to teach her.
So I took her out of her cage, put her on her playstand....showed her a nutriberry, showed her that I was putting it inside one of those wooden honey pots with a lid attached to a chain. I closed the lid. She touched it with her beak, and walked away...I opened the lid, and showed her the nutriberry again, and just as she went for it I closed the lid. She walked up to it, grabbed the chain with her beak, tossed the lid aside and grabbed the nutriberry!!!! Just like that!! She figured it out in 15 Seconds!! LOL
Im going to have to up the anti here if I expect this to be stimulating for her, LOL

Except min had a side mount thing, and a chain attaching the lid to the pot so it wont fall to the ground.

She now rips that lid off every few minutes hoping another treat will be in there Im assuming, LOL
check out Parrot Enrichment they have all sorts of great foraging ideas!

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen

I bought a few of these exact toys from my vet. It's a good thing I have a few because Akando took the lid from the one he had and chewed it into a gazillion little pieces :headsmack:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I bought a few of these exact toys from my vet. It's a good thing I have a few because Akando took the lid from the one he had and chewed it into a gazillion little pieces :headsmack:
Yup I could see that, today Prudence is working really hard at chewing that lid apart. No more hiding the food for me if the lid doesnt exist, LOL

...its so adorable how when she takes the lid off she RIPS it off with such force, she's MAD its on there each time, LOL

Thanks BHD's for the forgaing site, Im gonna check it out!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I tried this for my bird and he figured out immediately as soon as he seen the food go inside the lid. It took him maybe 10 sec of fiddling with the lid before figuring out how to remove it. He does it daily now and he's a champ at it. Birds are hilarious and entertaining to watch doing this, they open the lid with a little sparkle if determination in their eyes. At least
mine does.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Its true, Pru loves ripping that lid off!!! She seems to proud of herself, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.