• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
This is actually somewhat stolen/modified from Lafeber's. LOL

They have a product where you heat this little pasta-looking tube and then cram Nutri Berries into it to make a totally edible foraging toy. Well, rather than spend money on it, I figured out a way to make your own.

You take whole wheat (or veggie) rigatoni or manicotti (for the bigger guys) noodles, boil for a bit until they are a bit harder than al dente, and then cram food into the pasta tube. I have all of that stuff here, so I am going to whip some up for Kiwi tomorrow.

I have a ravioli attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer, so I might whip up some whole wheat ravioli for Kiwi and fill them with his favorite fruits and veggies tomorrow!

Has anyone ever done something like this? How did it go over?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have not tried it but thanks for the idea

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
What a great idea!!!! Can't wait to see how it turned out and how your birds liked it. Please keep us posted and maybe post some pics of it. Sounds yummy.

twokidzmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I think that it sounds like a great idea :dancing: I'm going to give it a try.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
yes I saw that in the DrFosterandSmith catalog and Ithought the same thing. So I bought large Rigatoni and stuffed it with nutrimeal bar pieces and also a little mozzarella in some--zoey's favorite things, pasta and mozarella--she loved it.

Clarise

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
What a GREAT idea!!! :idea:

I especially like the ravioli idea . . . Clarise would be beside herself!!! I'm going to try it tomorrow!!!! :cheer:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I tried this tonight. It was a bit of a disaster, as I have never made homemade whole wheat pasta. Pasta flour (durum) is a lot different in the dough. I think I will try again using the correct flour.​

Status
Not open for further replies.