• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Foot injury

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
My linneolated parakeet fell from a toy at the top of her cage to the floor of her cage. She landed quite hard on her feet and now seems to be favouring one foot. I don't see any visible signs of injury, but I don't want to stress her out by removing her from her cage for a closer look.

I'm new to birds - how serious could this be? If it seems to stop in the next little bit, is she ok? How soon to see a vet? Thank you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It may be good to take her out and have a closer look at the foot to see if there is any swelling or redness. If you don't see any improvement with the foot and her behavior changes then you want to take her to the vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's just like with your child - he may not want to do something, but if it's for his welfare you make him do it. Take your baby out and look at BOTH FEET AND HER KEEL. Make sure something isn't broken and check for swelling and bruising on the keel area.

I would put her in a padded carrier cage, so she can be watched closely for awhile.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Rio recently hurt a foot and favored it a little for a couple of hours. She flew and walked on it, but would then hold it up like it hurt. Since her keel was fine, and she could walk, I decided to wait a few hours to see if it resolved and it did. I would check her for injury and see how she fares.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Rio recently hurt a foot and favored it a little for a couple of hours. She flew and walked on it, but would then hold it up like it hurt. Since her keel was fine, and she could walk, I decided to wait a few hours to see if it resolved and it did. I would check her for injury and see how she fares.
This is exactly what's going on here.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
It's just like with your child - he may not want to do something, but if it's for his welfare you make him do it. Take your baby out and look at BOTH FEET AND HER KEEL. Make sure something isn't broken and check for swelling and bruising on the keel area.

I would put her in a padded carrier cage, so she can be watched closely for awhile.
Had a thorough look. No swelling, bruising, or breaks that I can detect. Normal activity has resumed. I will continue to monitor closely.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
A question though, how does one properly assess the keel?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First look for any blood. Then brush the feathers back from the keel and look for bruises. Then run your finger down the keel to feel any bumps or obvious broken areas. If everything is positive then his keel is fine.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
First look for any blood. Then brush the feathers back from the keel and look for bruises. Then run your finger down the keel to feel any bumps or obvious broken areas. If everything is positive then his keel is fine.
Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad your little girl seems better, they sure know how to scare us!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to read that she is doing better.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Not out of the water yet. She climbed and played and ate this afternoon, then seemed to pay for it in the evening and began to limp and favor her hurt foot again. There is no swelling or discolouration though, off to the vet tomorrow I guess...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that her foot is still bothering her. Maybe she caused the problem to flare up again with her climbing and playing. Keep us updated.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, darn! Hopefully it will improve after some rest.