• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foods that aid the molting process?

SpinySpino

Sitting on the front steps
Just curious if there any foods that can help a parrots feathers while molting since it's pretty energy draining for them. I've heard that extra protein can be good for them while molting but I've found conflicting sources with that so any advice would appreciated:tup: Thanks in advance!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
In all science articles I've read, yes a bump in protein. I use boiled egg, a tiny amount boiled chicken no skin like half the length of my little finger, and a few walnut.
Metabolism goes up 25% to much higher , so more calories.
As always lots of fresh veggies. Time outside in very secure travel cage in light shade weather permitting.

I made these changes after being unsatisfied with how they looked during molt. Mine now look gorgeous during molt x ceot for the pins here n there never scruffy. Molts are quicker and more regular. Feathers beautiful.

SpinySpino

Sitting on the front steps
In all science articles I've read, yes a bump in protein. I use boiled egg, a tiny amount boiled chicken no skin like half the length of my little finger, and a few walnut.
Metabolism goes up 25% to much higher , so more calories.
As always lots of fresh veggies. Time outside in very secure travel cage in light shade weather permitting.

I made these changes after being unsatisfied with how they looked during molt. Mine now look gorgeous during molt x ceot for the pins here n there never scruffy. Molts are quicker and more regular. Feathers beautiful.
Nice! quick question: Would stuff like lentils, quinoa and chickpeas(all cooked of course) also be a good source of protein? If so I can definitely add a bit of that to my bird's daily chop

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Nice! quick question: Would stuff like lentils, quinoa and chickpeas(all cooked of course) also be a good source of protein? If so I can definitely add a bit of that to my bird's daily chop
Those would definitely work for additional protein!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
T
They are protein rich. But I found mine needed animal protein to makes difference.

Walnuts have Vitamin E ( insure think) and fed a little for Xtra fats

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Watching