• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food? Guidelines? help!

Urchinia

Meeting neighbors
So, in preparation of a ringneck who I will be adopting in a few weeks, I have been researching diet. I am used to feeding two pickyish budiges who are pretty much addicted to seeds (been trying to help that for a while. Neither will eat pellets, one eats some chop and the other wants to steal pasta from his people).

When I research food for ringnecks, there are so many different things that people do and I have no idea what is "appropriate." Are there guidelines? Some people feed pellets and veg and other are adding rice and pasta as well.. what's ok? What definitely isn't?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're getting conflicting answers because the truth is we are still kind of figuring out what is best - and it varies by household, species, and individual parrot!

The only thing we DO know is that an all seed diet is detrimental to most parrots health. Similarly, for some species like budgies and cockatiels, an all pellet diet is also not good.

Some people feed mostly pellets, with some veggies, fruits, and grains.

Some people feed mostly veggies, fruits, and grains with some pellets.

Some people go pellet free and do a whole food diet!

I would ask yourself:

- What is the breeder/current owner currently feeding?
- What is my budget?
- What do I feel reasonably able to do?
- Will I be able to get my bird outside for 30 mins a day several times a week year round?

And build from there.

First, what is the breeder/current owner currently feeding?

This is important as birds are naturally neophobic and you will need to plan to feed what they are currently feeding when they first come home. Some birds will starve themselves if they do not recognize their bowl is full of food! It also gives you an idea of what challenges you may face. A bird on an all seed diet may be more of a challenge to convert than a bird that is already eating a wide variety of foods.

What is my budget?

Some pellets are more expensive than others, and a whole food diet is going to likely be more expensive than a diet that includes pellets.

What do I feel reasonably able to do?

Obviously pouring pellets in a bowl and giving some veggie in the morning or at dinner is easier and takes less time. Doing a whole food diet takes more time to plan, prepare, store, and feed. Veggies and fruits should only be left out for up to 4 hours, which can also be a source of conflict for some schedules.

Will I be able to get my bird outside for 30 mins a day several times a week year round?

Birds need Vitamin D3, and there are no vegetarian food sources that contain it in enough abundance for our birds. So, they will either need to get it from the sun in the form of UVB (unfiltered, not through a window), or from their food. Most pellets are fortified to contain D3.

Overall, you'll likely need to be flexible and patient. It can take time for birds to come around to what we want to feed them!

As for pellet, if they are on seed only right now, I recommend Zupreem Fruity. It has been the only food all of my birds, including seed addicts, have taken to. You can always switch it later! Ideally we would want them on a dye and sugar free pellet, but sometimes we need to ease into that ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As for what is "definitely not okay" - poisonous/toxic things :p Avocado, chocolate, caffeine, dried uncooked beans...

I prefer to stay away from simple carbs like white rice, pasta, and bread. I also don't offer most beans, dairy, animal proteins (exception: I will sometimes give a bit of egg or fish), and I offer only a bit of fruit. But again, this varies by person.

Urchinia

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much Mizzely! This was very helpful.

From what I know, his current owner says he is not very picky at all. He eats Harrisons/ Roudybush pellets and enjoys fruits, veg (not a fan of leafy greens) and mostly anything offered, so I am lucky there! I eats lots of fruit and veg and will have a good variety to offer.

Thanks again for such an informative response. This is very helpful.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh sounds like he's on a great diet! I would absolutely keep him going with the current pellets and giving him veggies and fruits :) grains are not totally necessary but stuff like quinoa many parrots like. Sprouts been be a good way to get picky eaters to get some variety, too :)