• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food, Birds, Flowers, Everything From Upstate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
Recently went upstate. A bird room with an attached outdoor aviary is being planned. Had to vacate the apartment quickly last weekend due to some bathroom repair work that was toxic to creatures who breathe oxygen. Bought some temporary cages for the weekend and, with quite a few hitches along the way, got upstate and back again.

Next time I go up I will clear out all the crap in the soon-to-be bird room and possibly begin constructing the aviary. My eventual plan is to have three flight cages (or non-flight cages of a suitable size) in the bird room. I also brought up two big bags, one of toys and one of perches, so I could rotate their toys and perches. I left a bunch of perches up there so I can have supplies in both locations.

They handled it well. The foursome was totally unaffected by our crazy experiences but Malachite was a bit overwhelmed at first. Not by the car ride but by being outside in the country. When I first brought them outside he was very quiet but then he realized it wasn't that bad after all. He was very interested in hearing the calls of the wild birds, especially one bird in particular who never shuts up and has the weirdest call ever. If I lived on the other side of the world I would be convinced it was a kookaburra.

I am not including the pictures of the location I am going to build their aviary in. Those pictures are in a separate thread over here:

Pictures Of Possible Aviary Location

And now for the pictures!

Hanging by the pool. This was when we first got up there and it was their first time out there.

Some meals.

Someone forgot he was eating a goji berry.

We made an apple pie so there were plenty of apple cores to go around.

Romeo and Juliet had an amazing time upstate. They also took a voluntary bath for the first time ever. And then, naturally, they fought over it.

HungryBird

And now for Part Two of the photo post:

Unripe hazelnuts from the hazelnut trees.

Various flowers growing around the house and pool.

If you look closely you can see some plums ripening on the branches. Hopefully the wild birds leave some for us.

A really pretty and interesting circle. No idea what this plant is but I love it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Beautiful pictures! Your food looks great as always!

Matt

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Wow the birdies looks soo happy.. :) And the flowers are soo pretty.. :highfive: What types of foods did you put in the bowls? :) I love spoiled birdies.. :)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Thank goodness you were able to get the birds out before any damage was done :)

So is that the new place you're moving into? So jealous you're going to have an outdoor aviary!!!

And I LOVE the flowers :)

HungryBird

I am not moving there. I suppose I could but there are a few problems. One, I don't drive and it is the country. Two, the winters are pretty terrible. I suppose there are ways around those obstacles. I have considered moving there but every time I think about it I imagine being snowed in for a week straight. Maybe in a year or two? Who knows.

Let's see how much I remember of the meals.

First meal - broccoli, goji berries, dried veggies from Just Tomatoes, and blueberries

Second meal - fuji apple, carrot, radishes, egg whites, and Johnny Jump Ups (cue father yelling "you better not give all my flowers to the •••• birds!)

Third meal - fuji apple, carrot, and two seeds which I forgot. I think one was mustard seeds maybe? Not sure.

They also had other things to eat. More fresh veggies and plenty of things growing outside like leaves and branches from safe trees. I also had some Bag O' Bugs from a Birdsafe order I received right before going up there so they ate that too. I think next time I will buy the big bag since they like it so much.

I knew someone would like the flowers! I really want to get stared on the aviary. I also can't wait to design the bird room. I have a really cute idea for some shelves I want to put along one of the walls and I also want to paint the room a bright color. I am inspired by Saroj's bird room! I aspire to one day have something half as cool.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What awesome pictures of the bird and the flowers! I love their messy beaks! :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
love all the pics....and the birdies with their messy beaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.