• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flo ~ Our new African Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
My husband fell in love with an African Grey named Flo that he meet in August of 2009 when I was purchasing my NanSun Conure. Last week he came home to inform me that the pet shop owner has finally agreed to sell Flo for $500 plus the cage. When we meet her we were told that she was young and due to stress had picked all of her feathers from her body. This Wednesday she will becoming to live with us our NanSun Conure and our New Zealand Ground Parott. We have the room for her and since I no longer work have lots of time to work with her, according to the pet shop owner she does not like females. Any AG owners out there with some advice please chime in. Flo has never really "played" outside her cage so that is the first thing I would like to work with her on. I plan on ordering her a Jolly Ball within the next couple of weeks as a starter.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby
looking forward to the pictures and stories of your new and old fids

can you post pics of your newzealand ground parrot? i've never seen them

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very glad you finally got her@@@ she will do great at your place...congratulations...

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulaions on your new fid.I can't wat to see pics.:)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
What wonderful news for Flo! She is going to go to her forever home.Greys to my mind are wonderful birds and as you are home will have the time to give her what she needs companionship.
Plenty of love and take it very slowly at her pace. A month in a Grey's life is just like a day so it needs to be taken slowly.
whoever Flo bonds with that will be it, she will interact to a degree with other members of the family as her flock, but will not be allowed the privaliges with her the bonded one has, it will be her choice I am afraid.
Providing her feather plucking is not caused by an infection, but a vet can treat that. Providing it has not become a bad habit that will be hard tobreak, she should with the right diet, plenty of sleep and a regular routine soon grow more feathers I am sure. Good luck.:hug8:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
This is almost word for word describing our CAG, Toni that we adopted 5 years ago. Except he had and still has no plucking issues.

He did not like women, and he never had out of cage time for the last few years in previous home.

It took a year or so before Toni allowed me to pet his head. He loves my hubby, that bond was instant! Toni still will not let me pick him up but we're still working on that.

From day 2 at our home, Toni was given a play area, a boing, a Java tree, and lots of toys.

Toni was 15 when we adopted him....your grey is much younger and thus, the transition and his acceptance of you, may take less time.
Lots of patience, take it slow - as I mentioned, it took a full year for me to touch Toni. His bites were very nasty in that first year...no doubt his fear of women came from previous home.

I must add that our grey has a few favorite toys - but the Number 1 favorites are the Brainiac from StarBird, and the Avian Maze Craze from Mother Plucking Bird Toys. He spends hours working on those toys.

Good luck with Flo! Congrats:)

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
Good luck!! Can't wait to hear about the progress!! Post up some pictures when you can!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations!!! :dance4:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats! I hope your new Grey thrives with your TLC. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Greys are great birds!

Matt

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats!!

emilybsharp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
This is almost word for word describing our CAG, Toni that we adopted 5 years ago. Except he had and still has no plucking issues.

He did not like women, and he never had out of cage time for the last few years in previous home.

It took a year or so before Toni allowed me to pet his head. He loves my hubby, that bond was instant! Toni still will not let me pick him up but we're still working on that.

From day 2 at our home, Toni was given a play area, a boing, a Java tree, and lots of toys.

Toni was 15 when we adopted him....your grey is much younger and thus, the transition and his acceptance of you, may take less time.
Lots of patience, take it slow - as I mentioned, it took a full year for me to touch Toni. His bites were very nasty in that first year...no doubt his fear of women came from previous home.

I must add that our grey has a few favorite toys - but the Number 1 favorites are the Brainiac from StarBird, and the Avian Maze Craze from Mother Plucking Bird Toys. He spends hours working on those toys.
I double quote this. Our grey is the exact same way you described. Except its been like 2 or 3 months and only occasionly can i pet his head a small amount, will NOT step up for me, but will now grab my finger with one foot

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks everyone! We have had a few bumps in our life so we only say Flo today. The next date to bring her home is Saturday. We found out that she is a tad older then we thought but that is just fine. Brain FART! I think Richard said she was 2 in November, but that is okay.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
That is still very young for a Grey as they live to a ripe old age if looked after and nothing befalls them. I know 30-40 yr olds and still going strong. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.