• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flighted birds, varying sizes, how do you manage it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Trying to plan for when Harry eventually comes to be with us and I realize this will change everything and want to try and make it work without stressing the current babies or putting anyone at risk.

Noodle, Abby and Elvis are fully flighted and fly all the time to wherever they want. I would love to do this for Harry too but realize there have to be serious set limits as Harry could seriously hurt the other three or kill them if he were to get a hold of them. I am planning on looking for a larger apartment, a two bedroom as I really want a bird room.

How do those that have birds that could harm other birds or pets manage to keep everyone safe and happy? I don't want to take away from Abby, El and Noodle. I want to make sure everyone continues to enjoy their play time and be social but obviously I will have to divide out time for everyone.

Any suggestions or hints of what worked for you? I admit I am getting more and more scared of messing this up royally and I haven't even started to look at apartments yet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Constant and vigilant supervision when they are out. If they don't get along then they either need their own flying space separate from the others or you need to give more of your time so they all still get their fly time only not together.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trying to plan for when Harry eventually comes to be with us and I realize this will change everything and want to try and make it work without stressing the current babies or putting anyone at risk.

Noodle, Abby and Elvis are fully flighted and fly all the time to wherever they want. I would love to do this for Harry too but realize there have to be serious set limits as Harry could seriously hurt the other three or kill them if he were to get a hold of them. I am planning on looking for a larger apartment, a two bedroom as I really want a bird room.

How do those that have birds that could harm other birds or pets manage to keep everyone safe and happy? I don't want to take away from Abby, El and Noodle. I want to make sure everyone continues to enjoy their play time and be social but obviously I will have to divide out time for everyone.

Any suggestions or hints of what worked for you? I admit I am getting more and more scared of messing this up royally and I haven't even started to look at apartments yet.
The safest way is to keep the bigger birds separate. That's what I do now, and I have much more peace of mind. But, when I did only have the one bird room, I had to allow one bird out at a time, divide out time, as you said, and monitor closely. It means that everyone gets less time out of their cage, but it is the safest way. You will also get a sense, after time, of whether or not the birds are actually aggressive toward one another.

I'm so glad you're taking in Harry. He will be so happy with you :hug8:

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Mine are out all the time, all together, I think it really depends on what works for you and how well they get along.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Noodle is always bossing the tiels around I know she would get up in Harry's business too. She has no idea she is the size of a feathered walnut.

I think keeping Harry in a separate area is what I will need to do in addition to dividing out time, it only takes a second for Noodle to land on his cage and get her foot bitten.

His current owner said he is bird aggressive but I remember their old home and all of the birds were out of the cage all of the time...eating the walls...but not hurting one another and Harry at that time was an energetic little wrestler that loved playing and being hung upside down by his feet and he would scream "Weeeeeeeee!". I want him to be able to have a life like that again if I can without getting Noodle eated.

Maybe if I have a bird room but take either the little ones into the living room to play while Harry gets out time in the bird room on certain days and then switch it up a few times a week? or maybe bed them in the bird room but out time will primarily be done in the living room and separately? I can't even think to put a cover on top of the cage because Noodle lands on sides, fronts what ever she wants easily and I can't see keeping Harry in the dark while she is out. He spent enough of the past years like that. I won't be doing it to him again.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
when I let my small birds out I wheel the big birds cages to another room I only let one bird out at a time and the two smaller birds share a double flight cage 21 by 64 so do not need as much out time

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
when I let my small birds out I wheel the big birds cages to another room
That is an awesome idea!

Admittedly most of Abby, Elvis and Noodle's out time is spent on their cage still or in Noodles case in the tiels cage. They fly from there to their playstand should they want to be there or to me where I might be in the kitchen, the couch or the bedroom and at times Elvis loves to snuggle on the bed...well by snuggle I mean walk all over me and make cute noises but if I try to scritch him or even breathe in a way he doesn't like I get his piranha face. :heart:

They get freedom from the time (unless I need to put them up in the cage to cook or do something else they can't be a part of.)I get home at 12:30 until I go to bed at 8 pm and usually go and tuck themselves back so that I only have to close the doors. This will be a change for them and us humans.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I use seperate room with seperate playstands/gyms. The guys that get along have my room but when I let Meru out he goes to our 3 season porch that has a whole other cage and playstand set up. My mom loves him and he her so she helps keep an eye on him when everyone's out at the same time. That way there is no contact between them at all and everyone's happy.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My conures and amazon are flighted, and 2 of my cockatiels are as well. They are all out at the same time, and Sammy is not aggressive to any of my birds (I have watched her very closely and observed her behavior). My conures are out with Sammy and then when I take Sammy to my bedroom to snuggle with me/1 on 1 time with me, then the cockatiels get out for a hour or 2 with the conures. It all depends on the birds and the situation. I have a birdroom and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I check on my birds several times a day throughout the day to make sure they are OK.

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
I have always wondered how people with fids of all different sizes managed this. When I had an amazon, cockatiel, and a conure, they were all in different rooms so I always just had them out at different times.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
harry's coming to live w/ you? i'm so happy for him. and for you too. i haven't forgotten about him at all. yay. sorry, all i have are small birds, but sounds like different rooms would be a good plan. :)

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Constant and vigilant supervision when they are out. If they don't get along then they either need their own flying space separate from the others or you need to give more of your time so they all still get their fly time only not together.
Couldn't put it any better than this.

There is such a size disparity between 'tiels, lories and mini-macaws, particularly when it comes to the beak. Be extra cautious. If you have to leave the room while all 4 are out, take Harry with you (or return the 'tiels and Noodle to their cage).

Wishing you all the best :)

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I would have to say constant super vision. I have birds ranging from lovebirds being my smallest, to Jaden my Goffins. All (well most..some are still growing in their wings) are fully flighted. The only one i really have to supervise is when Jaden is out. The others have learned to tollerate each other and now even hang out on each others cages and such. Ive noticed tho being fully flighted, if one bird decides to pick on another..he can simply fly to another cage. Usually the other bird WONT chase them, just wanted them off their turf. :rolleyes:

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
Just supervision. I have 6 birds ranging from tiels to a citron 2. All six(seven until yesterday when Birdie,OWA, was adopted.) are all out together at the same time. I understand that there is a HUGE size difference between some of them but I know who tolerates who and who can play nicely together on the playgyms. Emma, BFA, is annoyed by other birds and will chase them so she is put on a different gym or goes with me if I have to leave the room for a second. Otherwise everyone plays nicely and I haven't had any problems. Just keep and eye on them and see how things pan out. If Harry can't be trusted to play nicely with anyone else than he stays in while others play and you just have to alternate.

Dax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brad
I was wondering this also. I had some people that wanted to give me some parakeets that there 2 had layed and hatched. I just was not sure how Merlin would take it. He can get jelous sometimes of people and Joe my other macaw.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I will have them out in groups. Tiels out or budgies out, out Autumn (gcc), Argyle (linnie) and Willow lbourke) willow just flies off if anyone gets close. Merlin my amazon is always out but never flies. I think you need to be careful and separate them when out if you have any concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.