• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fleece ring swing instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
Hopefully these instructions make sense. I got the supplies from Joann's. The snuggle ring is attached with a large binder clip that pulls apart in the middle like the type used in three ring binders. You can use a link or something else to attach the ring to the cage. Put those on before you tie the last few strips on. It's just easier for me to wash the snuggle ring when I can take off the binder clip.

1. Cut the fleece strips parallel to the selvage edge of the fabric. This will make sure that the strips will not stretch much when they're tied on the ring. The selvage edge is the finished edge of the fabric when it comes off the bolt at the store. There is only one selvage on this piece of fabric because the other one was cut off earlier. The selvage is on the very left in this picture.

2. Cut the strips every inch so it's 1 inch wide and 10 inches long. It's helpful to have a slotted guide ruler like the one in the picture, but it's not needed. It's also helpful to use a rotary cutter, but it's not needed. You can use scissors to cut the strips and a regular ruler and a fabric marker to draw lines every inch on the fabric.

1. After cutting the strips 1 inch wide and 10 inches long, turn the slotted guide ruler perpendicular to the orginal cuts.
2. Cut at the 5 inch mark so that the strips will be cut in half.

1. Tie the strips on the ring using a regular knot.

1. Slide the new piece of fleece up next to the other pieces.
2. Make sure you pack the ring tight with fabric.
3. It helps the ring look fluffy if you turn the fabric strips so that they're all pointing in different directions.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thank you for the pictorial, your instructions are very clear and make me want to try to make one of my own! :thumbsup:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Very nice! Did you buy the ring at Joann's too? Is it brass?

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
how simple, but look how gorgeous it looks!!! thanks for the tutorial :highfive:

MBS

Jogging around the block
Very nice! Did you buy the ring at Joann's too? Is it brass?

I did get it there, but it's not real brass. It's brass or gold in color. It doesn't have a zinc coating. I put the ring in a pan of undiluted muriatic acid and no fizzing right away or after soaking. Zinc coating always fizzes like Alka Seltzer in a strong acid. Some links I bought fizzed up right away and turned dull. I can't say that the metal itself doesn't have zinc in it. There are welded rings online somewhere that are made of stainless steel, but I don't know how thick they are. They're cheaper per ring than this one from Joann's, but I haven't ordered them online to try them out. This ring doesn't bend. It's almost impossible to untie the knots once you make them. I pack on a lot of fabric.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I got a silly Question, but i'm not crafty what so ever

What does
parallel to the selvage edge
not the Selvage part - but Parallel?? I know its a direction but no clue what way it is LOL

MBS

Jogging around the block
Parallel just means lines that will never cross each other like this, ll. They don't have to be vertical lines, they can be two or more lines going in any direction that will never cross each other like the two rails of a railroad track. The selvage in the 2nd picture is the left vertical edge of the fabric so line up your cuts going the same same direction as the selvage.

If you look at the slots in the slotted ruler in the 2nd picture, then you will see that they are parallel to the selvage. The 3rd picture shows the slots going perpendicular to the first set of cuts (by that step I had cut off the selvage so it's not pictured).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Ooh Ok thank you :D

I just never was crafty, my mom did all that good stuff for me, never had to bother learning lol

of course I regret that now :p

MBS

Jogging around the block
Ooh Ok thank you :D

I just never was crafty, my mom did all that good stuff for me, never had to bother learning lol

of course I regret that now :p

You're welcome. You're always answering my questions.

I am the crafty mom more out of frustration from store bought items being crappy or the fact that I can't find exactly what I need than actually being crafty.

If you make one then I want to see a picture.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
we've made them in the past Only with Wicker Wreaths :)

but your way of cutting with the Rotary Cutter and Ruler looks a whole lot easier & neater than our way of just laying the fleece out on my bed and cutting with scissors and HOPE we get them all about the same size LOL oh and of course NOT cutting my blankets lol

I'm thinking when I get the extra money to go buy those 2 things and some more fleece.

Markie

Strolling the yard
This looks like something even I could make! Those metal rings are what I used to make Maddie's orbit with! Worked out really good.. she loves her orbit!

Status
Not open for further replies.