• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flea Collars

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I know they're on almost all Toxic Lists

But would they only be toxic if the bird actually came in contact with one?

Just living in the same house and never coming in contact with the collar Or the Dog its on isn't still considered Toxic is it?

I know why the Flea Sprays/bombs and those types are toxic - those are inhaled But Was curious if the Flea collars are only toxic if the bird would come in contact with it

and since that isn't going to happen in this house I'm hoping that's the only way its toxic is actual contact

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i cant help you there but im sure some one will hope your right

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
i cant help you there but im sure some one will hope your right

I'm just assuming but it doesn't make much sense for a collar that doesn't let off a smell to be toxic if it doesn't come in contact with the bird , I even smelled it and the package it was in and I didn't smell any thing

and since the birds don't even sit/play etc where the dog does The stuff on it wouldn't come off and be a danger to them since they don't roam where the dog spends her time

but Of course this is just more or less me thinking out loud :)

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
flea collars work by being absorbed through the oils on the dogs skin. There shouldn't be any fumes to worry about but you probably shouldn't pet your dog then your bird before washing your hands.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Oh i always wash my hands after I mess with Sheba for 2 reasons One she licks us to death LOL, and she sheds and is shedding badly right now and I don't like dog hair lingering on my hands LOL

and the birds don't hang out in her crate and that's where she is for the next couple weeks still,

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
There is alot of "powder" on those collars.
Something to think about may be that the powder would float into the air and particles would land on something the bird chews.

But I think thats a long shot.

Anyways, there are pills called comfortis, and capstar. And they work ALOT better than those flea collars I am a dog groomer and HATE FLEA COLLARS!
Most of those topical flea treatments like frontline don't even work nowadays.:mad:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
There is alot of "powder" on those collars.
Something to think about may be that the powder would float into the air and particles would land on something the bird chews.

But I think thats a long shot.

Anyways, there are pills called comfortis, and capstar. And they work ALOT better than those flea collars I am a dog groomer and HATE FLEA COLLARS!
Most of those topical flea treatments like frontline don't even work nowadays.:mad:
comfortis I looked it up, its been known to kill animals, Give them twisted stomachs, and cause vomiting

capstar - also looked it up, it does not last long and only kills adult fleas and if the flea doesn't bite it won't be killed

So neither one of those are options for me I won't give something that is known to kill animals,make them throw up or hurt their stomachs - she has enough issues as it is right now.
and I don't want to use something I have to keep applying in less than a months time.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Strange I have never heard anything like that about comfortis, I have only heard good things actually. My boyfriends friend is a vet and would only recommend comfortis. I'm paranoid about my dogs health as well and I would still give capstar and comfortis.
If you can find me a webpage about some of the adverse experiences with comfortis I would appreciate it, I googled it and all I could find was the company warning labels.

But honestly I feel the same way about flea collars which is why I hate them so much. I have seen dogs with flea collars where the fur will not grow around the neck anymore it is so poisoned, the skin is red bumpy and irritated, and there are still fleas all over the dogs body. (Just not around the neck, smart little things huh LOL)
Just google "flea collars bad for dogs" and you will see some of the many horrors these things do to pets.
Even the packages warn you not to come into direct contact with the collar, if it's not safe for your skin is it really safe for theirs?

Capstar is more just to get the fleas off the pet initially.
Before we brought home our bird our dogs got fleas, so we bombed our house and gave them capstar. Problem solved.

Sorry I could go on and on so I wont! LOL

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks for posting that for me. That is a horrible situation I agree.
I found a few other sites where people had complained about vomiting from it as well.

Any flea treatment is a poison. It's meant to kill something. So of course it's not going to be healthy for any dog. All dogs, and breeds are different so some take to the different treatments differently as well.

For my particular case we don't use any flea preventative. Which works out for us but I know for alot of people it might not work out.
We don't have to use anything, our dogs never get fleas surprisingly.
The one time our dogs got fleas we gave them capstar and acted quickly to get the fleas out of our house/yard so the problem never exploded.

The thing with flea collars, front line, other things they sell is they are still poison. But they don't even work. What is the point of putting poison on or in your dog if it doesn't even do what it's suppose to??

Garlic in larger portions is toxic to dogs, but in small portions it's just fine, and is known to deter fleas, pretty much in the same way a topical or pill flea treatment would.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
What about sprinkling garlic powder on your dog or cat's food? I have heard many people recommend garlic as a preventative measure as fleas don't like garlic. Since the dog eats the garlic powder, the smell comes through their skin, the fleas smell it and won't jump on the dog (or so I've heard). Anyone know if this would work?
Won't help if your animal already has fleas, but to prevent them?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I never had a flea problem when I was using Magic Paws Flea Shampoo - this one

but since she wasn't a puppy any more I figured I'd go to an Adult kind which is this one

and since I went to the 2nd one We've had a flea problem

SO when I gave her her bath the Friday I went back to using the Four Paws for puppies. but I know it'll be a while before it works again since I'm not wanting to get her completely soaked she just got her staples removed Friday

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Oh no I'm sorry you are having such a problem with it all.

Why not try the capstar and then start the flea bathing? That way you can get them all off, and the regular bathing will keep them off.

Also, another shampoo that kills fleas SO WELL is DAWN!
YEP dish soap.
We dilute it with water for our groom dogs, but if you use it straight (heck even diluted) it will kill em all.
And it's safe as long as you don't get it in the dogs eyes.

Try it I promise it works :)
For better results scrub the dog for a good 5 minutes, or just leave it on for 5 minutes. I always bathe my own dogs in dawn.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Oh Dawn can dry out the skin, if it does use a conditioner made for dogs after you shampoo.
Conditioner will also help with the skin irritation from the fleas

Usually if your dog is on high quality kibble there is little to no skin problems. My 3 have never had any problems at all.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
The flea collars for cats and dogs on sale for us are just lethal. They have caused my cats and dogs to lose their hair around the site of the contact and may well kill the fleas but have not done my pets much good either. Would not touch them with a barge pole!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
What an awesome suggestion!!! I know they use Dawn to help get oil off animals that have been rescued from oil spills so I knew it was animal friendly - but I didn't know it killed fleas! Thanks Jessica!!!

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I forgot about them using dawn to get the oil off of ducks and stuff!
No wonder it cleans the dogs so good!! LOL

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
is there an alternative to dawn? I'm allergic to dawn

I know an odd thing to be allergic to i used to get accused of saying i was just saying it to get out of doing dishes, So I had to prove I wasn't lying . and in turn spent weeks itching and had hives...... I can't even touch dishes that were washed in dawn IF they were not rinsed well enough - That's how I always know if ppl rinsed the soap off their dishes or not LOL

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Stuped me we fed our danes garlic every dat take a piece of raw garlic and grate some on your dogs food do it every day foe a week then cut back also you can take powder garlic and sprinkel it on rugs every thing let stay 48 hrs then vacum it up chouch yes garlic smells try the room your dog stays in see if after vacuming it hasent lifted dead flease bet you will ride your place
i have also heard flease can stay dorment for 7 yrs then come back to life heard this from a vet how true it is i do not know
sorry i forgot garlic put it down to old age dont give dog a lot just a little every day enough that would cover tip of pointed spoon raw is best

Status
Not open for further replies.