• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fishy smelling mouth!!

Elyse04

Sitting on the front steps
Oh I'm a bigger worrier with my babies even when well. So I understand. Its stressful.

The stress from Visiting a veterinarian even when they are normal can throw them off yes.

Of course taking extra naps can indicate they aren't feeling well too.

Offer all the favorites, like millet spray.

If I understand, yours didn't have a lot of symptoms, just smelly breath right? Had been eating fine, not napping extra before right? Good poops?

So right now we dint know what's wrong, or if anything is wrong. And you are going back to veterinarian on Tuesday. You can always call first thing Monday.

What I recommend is Xtra warmth. I like the sweeter heater as sold on Amazon. Sick burds really benefit from Xtra warmth 80-90 f . You can make your home a little warmer.

Keep them calm and caged except when out for cuddling with you .

Sick burds get whatever they want to eat within reason. No sugary foods. Try and keep diet healthy and what they normally eat. But hang a treat stick and/or millet spray. If seed mix is part of the diet bump up a little more than what you normally offer. If seeds are normally just for treats offer a few. Offering tge veggies high in beta carotene/ Vitamin A as that helps with immunity. Like warm cooked sweet potatoes, warm roasted or steamed carrots, leafy greens like romaine are higher in vitamin A and the yellow/orange/red bell pepper..sick burds generally burn more calories when sick up to 3x more. And often eat less, so you want to keep them eating and tempted.

Its a good idea to have a digital scale and track weight.

Those are just good supporting measures for Sick burds.

Keep calm.

If anything changes that has you worried , stops eating, staying fluffed and nit moving around, big liquid still with no formed fecal ( diarrhea) changes in breathing or anything then you would want to get him in and not wait till Tuesday.

But hopefully he is going to be just fine
I’m sorry I’m writing so much lol but he just started singing and dancing “if you’re happy and you know it” and head banging, phew!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sounds like you are doing great. Awesome progress with veggies already! Glad he is perking back up!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you want I suggest you add Apple Cider Vinegar with mother to his drinking water. I will help balance out the yeast growth of if no yeast it will still help digestion. 2 tsp per quart of water. I used to do this 2 times a month.

When a vet does a swab of a birds crop he will make a slide and look under a microscope so you will know if there are yeast cells right away.

Elyse04

Update! After a crop wash they’ve determined it’s a bacterial crop infection likely from dirty husbandry and contaminated food and water ( remember he was adopted so that did not come from me!) my poor baby. He is on the mend and already feeling better after a few days of antibiotics, luckily he is a very good boy and doesn’t fight to take his medication. Thanks to all for your help!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad it got figured out and is doing better.

Elyse04

If you want I suggest you add Apple Cider Vinegar with mother to his drinking water. I will help balance out the yeast growth of if no yeast it will still help digestion. 2 tsp per quart of water. I used to do this 2 times a month.

When a vet does a swab of a birds crop he will make a slide and look under a microscope so you will know if there are yeast cells right away.
Yes thank you I had started the ACV treatment last week and I do think it helped him!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Update! After a crop wash they’ve determined it’s a bacterial crop infection likely from dirty husbandry and contaminated food and water ( remember he was adopted so that did not come from me!) my poor baby. He is on the mend and already feeling better after a few days of antibiotics, luckily he is a very good boy and doesn’t fight to take his medication. Thanks to all for your help!
Such great news! Good thing you rescued him!
Wishing him a continued speedy recovery!