• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First huge batch of chop!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
In the past I have always only made enough chop to last 3 days and then refrigerated it but recently I decided to prep it instead of constantly having to buy things and then wasting the majority of them.

So I made a huge bowl and separated it Into little bags to put about 2 days worth in. Yoshi LOVES it, and I’m very happy because it’s less work for me :lol:.

I’ll put a small bag in the fridge the night before I use it. But the rest is all frozen!

upload_2019-10-26_11-22-1.jpeg

upload_2019-10-26_11-28-21.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay!! It does feel good to know that it is ready in a convenient little pack and all you have to do is defrost and serve.

Burt’s part of the freezer looks so much more colourful and healthy than the rest of the freezer lol. It’s also got more in it I think!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow its beautiful! I want to munch it down!!!

I do warn on not mixing it into meals but not repeating it too many days or meals in a row w/out changing it up like in scrambled eggs, birdy bread, adding a pasta. They get bored too!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What's in yours? I recently did the freezer thing, too, finally.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

I do warn on not mixing it into meals but not repeating it too many days or meals in a row w/out changing it up like in scrambled eggs, birdy bread, adding a pasta. They get bored too!
I tend to make the same basic chop, and I have noticed they've been less enthusiastic about it lately. Do you ever add cooked quinoa?

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi

Yes of course! This is just the base mix, I add in whatever is growing in the garden or that we have in the fridge when I give it to him.

For example today he had a blue berry and a piece or two of rosemary in it. Yesterday he had a little bit of mulberry and some basil in it. The ingredients change every day but the big chop is handy to have as a staple.

He also gets pellets, seeds in his foraging toys and a nut during training.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
What's in yours? I recently did the freezer thing, too, finally.
I will probably forget a few things as it was a couple days ago and we put so much in it.

•Carrot
•Capsicum
•Broccoli
•Beans
•Oats (to soak up some of the moisture so it doesn’t go soggy)
•lentils
•Apple
•Loquat
•Baby spinach (not to much)
•Chickpeas

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I tend to make the same basic chop, and I have noticed they've been less enthusiastic about it lately
This is why I don´t freeze a tonne of chop. I have a lot of ingredients frozen, and I can make up a chop in the morning by defrosting what ingredients I want, and some days I miss something out, other days I add other stuff in. It works for us. I don´t freeze fruit so they get different fruits each day. For example, some days I´ll cut a small chunk of banana for them and I´ll have the rest for my breakfast - cuts waste. I froze the same chop when I went away, and I had made a little extra, so I am using that on lazy days.

•Loquat
What is this?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ahh Thankyou, I have seen those before, I almost bought a tree. My boyfriend said he likes them but I had never tried them.

Ps, if you tag someone in a post while editing after your posted it, they don´t get the alert ;)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Ahh Thankyou, I have seen those before, I almost bought a tree. My boyfriend said he likes them but I had never tried them.

Ps, if you tag someone in a post while editing after your posted it, they don´t get the alert ;)
Good to know, thanks!