• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Flights at the Park

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hey guys, just thought I would share Fumble's first flights at the the park this week. She definitely needs more recall training outside, her indoor recall is amazing (especially when playing hide and seek) and we continue to train everyday. I am working have training her to not land on the grass as she gets tired and as her outdoor recall improves I am sure this will get easier. Anyways here is the video of her flights. As always I appreciate any tips :)

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
How stunning! :heart: I can never get enough of watching them fly outdoors, it’s absolutely beautiful!
I’m absolutely no expert so only sharing what I’ve seen when watching a ton of free flight training videos, but it seems that typically they start training outside with only A to B style flights from the T stand to their human, or possibly from one human in a straight line to another. They don’t seem to move to having the bird fly off of the human and expect a boomerang or longer flight where the bird comes and lands back on their human until much later in the training. But of course it’s possible you’ve already done the A to B recall and gotten that down, so I may be telling you something you already know! Lol.
Anyway, you seem to be doing amazingly and it’s so beautiful to watch!! I can’t wait to get to this point with my own baby, but he is just a baby not even fledged yet so it’ll be a while:)

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
lol yes when my husband is home we do A to B flights (she is doing really well on those flights I would guess at least 80% recall on A to B flights) and I practice the recall training from the perch/T stand to me in a straight line every day outside. The video above isnt necessarily an exploratory flight rather its me running and seeing if she feels like flying in a circle if that makes sense. Typically the exploratory flights happen when practicing A to B flights. Thank you for the input though, it is always a great reminder to others reading the forum :)

Thank you for your wonderful comment as well! Even though it may be a while, I can't wait to see your own little one's first flights! :D

Last edited: