• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First eggs. HELP

jazzy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michelle
2 approx 6-7 yr old, first time. Sun/Jenday mixed 6-8 yr Conures laid first time eggs. they are making constant chirping, chattering cheeping noises. they are making constant cheeping, chattering chirping noise! I can't get to any of them to see anything I cant get to a vetI will explain the dilemma can't get them but priority right now, is has anyone experienced this? I have no experience or knowledge I am beside myself.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Michelle :)

Have they just laid the eggs? If so, remove them, boil them for a few minutes, allow them, to cool down, then put them back where you found them.

Try not to panic. Are the adult birds looking ok? Active? Normal?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Hello Michelle :)

Have they just laid the eggs? If so, remove them, boil them for a few minutes, allow them, to cool down, then put them back where you found them.

Try not to panic. Are the adult birds looking ok? Active? Normal?

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Oh THANK YOU so very much for answering so quick. They laid 2 eggs that I know of.this is day 2 1/2. I saw them mating but didnt think anything of it since I'v3 had them 5 years and nothing. I wish I had thought of this site sooner. They laid them underneath the metal grate! There is no way to get to the egg. We found out the first because it was broken. Not sure if it happened when I did the nightly clean changing the paper. I did see one from the corner they were moving it back and forth under the wings. to try to warm it. I would break the egg(s?) if I tried to move the grate. Not to mention mom. esp dad are VERY aggressive now.

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Oh THANK YOU so very much for answering so quick. They laid 2 eggs that I know of.this is day 2 1/2. I saw them mating but didnt think anything of it since I'v3 had them 5 years and nothing. I wish I had thought of this site sooner. They laid them underneath the metal grate! There is no way to get to the egg. We found out the first because it was broken. Not sure if it happened when I did the nightly clean changing the paper. I did see one from the corner they were moving it back and forth under the wings. to try to warm it. I would break the egg(s?) if I tried to move the grate. Not to mention mom. esp dad are VERY aggressive now.
20210314_151333.jpg 20210314_151333.jpg
Trying to figure out how to work this. Please bear with me!

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Wrong picture. DRAT

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
This is how much room they squeezed in! They get run-out through a small corner .under the paper. Not to mention they will RIP my arm off. It now explains why they'd been being so aggressive at this point I'm thinking all that could help is prayers .

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow, they´re real squeezed in there!
1st, remove the paper stuff from on top of the grate if you can.
Next, gently slide the grate out enough so the birds can get out easier.
Then coax them into the cage, maybe a treat? offered through the cage bars
Once they are out from under the grate, push it closed, and keep it held closed.
Remove the tray from underneath, boil the egg, allow it to cool, mark it with a sharpie marker, then put it back on the tray, and the tray in the cage.
Then remove the grate completely.

The problem you may have is the next egg, if there are any more, but it is not impossible. I have an awfully bitely lovebird who is very protective of the eggs, and I manage to coax her out of the cage and then sort the eggs so hopefully you can do something like that if more eggs come.

While the eggs are in the cage, keep the grate out. OR find a way to secure the grate in place. Then place the egg on top of the grate.

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Oh wow, they´re real squeezed in there!
1st, remove the paper stuff from on top of the grate if you can.
Next, gently slide the grate out enough so the birds can get out easier.
Then coax them into the cage, maybe a treat? offered through the cage bars
Once they are out from under the grate, push it closed, and keep it held closed.
Remove the tray from underneath, boil the egg, allow it to cool, mark it with a sharpie marker, then put it back on the tray, and the tray in the cage.
Then remove the grate completely.

The problem you may have is the next egg, if there are any more, but it is not impossible. I have an awfully bitely lovebird who is very protective of the eggs, and I manage to coax her out of the cage and then sort the eggs so hopefully you can do something like that if more eggs come.

While the eggs are in the cage, keep the grate out. OR find a way to secure the grate in place. Then place the egg on top of the grate.
So yes I was able to get a good chunk of the paper off. The top. They've managed to shred enough under through a hole where 3 prongs had eventually broke and they've pulled a lot of the paper through. In a oval shape to the bottom. I did only see 1 egg but By then, I was being charged at mouth wide open. In a flash the other one zoomed out. Going to give this a better try later on. Thank youfor your time and assistance. I'll check back.

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
If the grate is broken, then I would remove it slowly and not put it back.
It is like 3 prongs directly toward the back I always kept a sheet of paper that lines the bottom Then one over the grate (Which they NEVER went under until the egg.) Fortunately the sheets of paper I am able to line is perfect sized. It is big sheets of packing paper. So thats fortunate. I was able to quickly grab out the poopy top sheet and put in a clean one for now. They both come charging viciously. Pulling out the whole grate has not yet been possible. I am afraid I will hurt them. . My anxiety is through the roof. I feel like such a loser. I called a friend who can come later on. Hoping another pair of hands can maybe help.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don´t put paper back on top of the grate.
Pull the grate out slowly and don´t put it back in.
Then pull the tray slowly, they will hopefully climb up when the tray starts to move. Yes, they cage floor will be non existant, but hopefully you have enough time to snag the egg off the tray. Obviously be sure the windows are cloesd before starting.

Going forward I would recommend a set of dummy eggs, as it makes it easier to control eggs.

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Don´t put paper back on top of the grate.
Pull the grate out slowly and don´t put it back in.
Then pull the tray slowly, they will hopefully climb up when the tray starts to move. Yes, they cage floor will be non existant, but hopefully you have enough time to snag the egg off the tray. Obviously be sure the windows are cloesd before starting.

Going forward I would recommend a set of dummy eggs, as it makes it easier to control eggs.
Oh the more I am learning the less I understand. This morn there are 2 more eggs. Total of 3!!!:confused: Thus far the only thing I've been able to do is change that top paper. I couldn't bear all that poopy paper. Anyway, they haven't been eating well, a major concern for me so they were eating breakfast up top I was just so relieved to see them up top eating and drinking well. I was afraid they'd stop. They've been such excellent parents, always down bottom with eggs.
Next step I will at least be able to remove the top paper, slip out the grate and hopeful scoop up the eggs. (quickly!)I will just have to set the eggs on top the paper (?) Thus far the rest will be up to them.
The next, I wanted to ask opinions on getting dummy eggs I see Amazon has them so I can get them shipped in a jiffy.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need to start moving much quicker. It´s been well over 72 hours since you saw the first egg, and the parents are brooding them. You only have a certain time frame before andy potential life starts to develop.

Slowly pull the tray out of the cage. Once you have boiled and replaced the eggs on the tray. Take the grate, (or measure it and take the measurements) to home depot, and buy either a sheet of perspex or thin wood the same size. Then in future when there are new eggs laid, you can slide in the sheet you bought slowly, once it reached the bird they will climb up on top. Then you can pull the tray out and switch eggs.

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Oh goodness I am even more confused. I pulled out the grate and they are now scrambling to the eggs on the tray. Do I quickly get them and boil (them) cool then put back but grate back in?? The grate only has 2 prongs busted off but not a danger!

jazzy

Real Name
Michelle
Oh goodness I am even more confused. I pulled out the grate and they are now scrambling to the eggs on the tray. Do I quickly get them and boil (them) cool then put back but grate back in?? The grate only has 2 prongs busted off but not a danger!
They are sitting on the eggs. I just ordered conure eggs but cant get them here until the 19th. I am going to have to let them hatch now? omg There are no avian vets in here CT except for this one. who I wouldnt trust to take a pet rock to. :sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10::sad10: