• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First bird for my son

QBird

Jogging around the block
Well I recently joined and have been speaking to my eldest about getting his own parrot for a while, he's still only young (ish) at 7. He has a little advantage knowing we do have many birds, some more transient.

He's always been brought up to look but don't touch until allowed and specifically told to by an adult. He's also been told not to go to the cage and put his fingers near them unless and adult is with him, at the same time we do work with him to feed the birds when they see him through the bars of a cage. I may be silly but in my head it helps a bird realise these random unpredictable little people type things can actually be good to them.

My children have 'snuck' into the parrot room and we have seen them sitting on the floor talking to the birds then discussing with each other what else they should tell the birds. (no they are not angels they do have their moments, but for the most part actually quite surprisingly stable around parrots even large macaws).

Anyway I rambled on sorry....

So I went to buy some toys and an aviator, from the only responsible shop out here, and the assistant introduced my son to a budgie.

We spoke about it, went back a few times since my hello to the forum post.

Needless to say today he got his budgie he was over the moon. The man in the shop has been teaching my son how to make two of the the budgies step up, how to give them treats etc. It's not quite the parrots I am used to and it has to live away from the other birds for now - (we may have a second on Thursday - long story shook me up a bit will go into that later).

So tonight "green goblin" came home to my son's room. He's tiny and I am a little worried I could hurt him, I find conures are tiny small little cute birds, and this little thing weights less then a macaw feather!

I'll post pictures and update more, but for now I have a happy son and we are hoping the other budgie will be okay to come home at the end of the week. He was so happy to just bring it home tell it that it was home and say good night letting it go to sleep.... lets see how this relationship works out. Yes I know all the warnings kids and fids, but he has to start somewhere and I think the budgie may be a reasonable choice as long as we work with him and the birds.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Congratulations. I absolutely adore budgies but be aware that a second budgie might hamper your son bonding with his new friend.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations on the new bird. It sounds like your son has found a new best friend. :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Congrats on the new addition! Your son must be over the moon!

My first bird was a budgie, and her and I were the best of friends! :)

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
My first bird was a budgie about the same age as your son. I agree about only getting one so the two can bond. If getting a second, separate cages so they don't bond to each other.

QBird

Jogging around the block
well here they are the second one had to come home as my son was terribly worried about it and spent the last 3 days asking to go and see it, at this stage perhaps it is not bad if they do bond more closely with each other due to the fact that these are his first birds and he may not turn out to be as dedicated as he appears to be now, therefore having some budgie company in the long run could work out well, as apparently these little guys actually get to a reasonable age for their size.

I'd love any tips on introducing fruit and veg etc if anyone can help me. I tried to cut it up real small and the green "Green Goblin" one stayed away, when I cleaned out the bowl and gave them the prestige budgie mix they are on in the shop he tucked into that.
Since the white one has just got home I have really just left them, although I did put a larger bowl into the cage as I really hope they will take a bath, they seem a little dirty to me.

Any and all tips would be lovely they are such fragile things and I do not want to do anything wrong with them. As things stand they will remain away from the parrots (great to have two sets of birds in different places away from the normal household. Thank god my husband does not work and can help during the day it's still taking until about 9pm before we can settle for the night with so much more time needed for the birds in different places and cleaning up after them all.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're adorable! :)