• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Annual Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

linus69

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Our little one had her first trip to the vet and had blood drawn to be sent out and checked. The vet said she looks great, good muscle mass, weight, bone structure.
She used a dremel to trim the tip of her beak and her nails, she was held in a towel while this was done. I then asked about her being vaccinated and my vet doesn`t believe in it.
She said she would consult a higher power and get back to me via email, here is her answer..........

Hi Paul- this is what the avain vet came back with.......
Caiques are a genus, with a few species within. Anecdotally including my own clinical experience, they may be more susceptible to the disease AT A YOUNG AGE. And I have seen birds from this genus who were doubly vaccinated at the correct time, followed by retail exposure to high polyoma shedding loads. Result: dead caique due to polyoma pathology. This tale hasn't been limited to this genus. But any psittacine has a greatly reduced susceptibility at this age, due to mature immune system. Plus, if it is a typical one bird household, the exposure risk is minimal, unless client buys unscreened lovebirds.
I see clients leaving the area, where a boarding or veterinary facility where the place requires the vax to stay there. I advise the client to look elsewhere. Haven't used the product in many years.

So to sum it up, this genus might be susceptible at weaning age IF vaccinatied and then receiving massive shedder exposure. But at the older age the susceptibility is minimal.
I don't have the vaccine or know where I would get it. I don't feel the pros outweigh the cons of vaccinating and when avian vets aren't recommending it- I can't. So...................if you would still like the vaccine I could try and stear you toward another avian vet who may have it or know where to get it. If she is not exposed to other birds or is not boarding she shouldn't be exposed to the virus. I know the virus is out there-just depends on her husbandry.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am glad everything is fine thanks for sharing

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sounds like it went well...I have had birds for twenty years and not one has had a vaccine....that was nice of your bet to check into it for you.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
soudns like the visit went very well

Status
Not open for further replies.