• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finn the Severely Disabled Goldfish

Meggles

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Megan Vandeventer
This story made me cry. I bought a bunch of feeder goldfish. I believe they deserve a good life as well. One died the 2nd day. I didn't think much of it until 2 of the 3 left grown to be a thick fish. And 1 was skinny and still tiny. It started not wanting to eat or move. So I made a sick tank. It very quickly came back to life and started playing and living. I found out by further investigation that it has no top fin. So it has to work twice as hard and I don't think I'm was eating right. It's what they call "disabled". I am now able to have it with the others and it's still living its best life. We named him Current because he's loved to play in the water currants from day one!
So as I was browsing my local pet store a couple weeks ago, I came across this little guy sitting at the bottom of the fantail tank. Turns out he's extremely inbred and severely disabled, and the pet shop was going to euthanize him if no one bought him and he didn't improve by the end of the day. So, I took him in.

In terms of infection/illness, he's EXTREMELY healthy. I mean, I have never had a fish as healthy as him in that way, not even my well-bred goldfish have been so healthy. He is super disabled, though. He has a fused tail, a curved fin, such a small inner mouth that I have to feed him baby betta pellets and veggie slurry, a jaw that won't close all the way, NO LIPS, and a large divet in his chin.

Now, he's doing very well! He lives in my main goldfish tank (40 gallons), and is getting long with the others. And man, I love this little guy! He gives me so much hope, and is thriving in his new home! I hope he lives for many years to come.

CB9732F3-B0B4-49A4-9ADC-15F989309330.jpeg

How the 'divet' works in his mouth. The blue is his 'throat opening'. It does not stop him from breathing, but he will probably need a special slurry 3 times a day for the rest of his life. As you can see, it isn't a tumor, it's just part of his mouth.
View attachment 405686

Finny vid!!!