• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finches missing feathers at Petsmart

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
I visited PetSmart today and i saw these poor finches. They were in an enclosure with three other finches, two female, one male. I assume this is from aggression or a skin condition (although the skin doesn’t seem irritated otherwise), but does anybody else know what it could be? I am going back next week to see if there are still there and if they are any worse or better.
9797A422-E61F-4FAC-AB1D-1353D4765510.jpeg 94C9906E-84D0-4661-A295-60A0968B67EA.jpeg 99DAE04D-2753-42F0-82C2-48C07F82475B.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you considering buying these birds?

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
unfortunately no, as much as i would love to give them a better home and improve their quality of life, i do not want to profit petsmart. buying these birds will only put other ones in the same situation. as much as my heart wants to bring them home, i’m not sure if that’s the best choice. but i am still concerned and would like to help them. i’m thinking of giving them a call, and maybe talking to one of the employees if they are still there next week.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is very odd. Maybe if you politely asked an employee they’d be able to tell you what happened. It looks like feathers are growing in, so maybe they had a past issue that’s been cleared up & the remaining issue is just cosmetic.

Kate&Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate Ivey
I would ask if they know why and if the answer seems odd or unresolved I’d call big petsmart. They have a number on the outside of their animal habitats to report something. I’m not sure if it’s the same as their regular customer service number - 1-888-839-9638

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Ive been in your situation. ImHO You have two options
Options one. Buy ther birds and immediately go to an avain vet (straight from store to vet) and have the store compensate you.
Option two is Animal control and health department (if the birds have mice or something else it could be contageous to people) and have them make sure the birds get vet attention.

When I alerted the employees of about a bird who had a severe impeded ankle banded I found out it's something they knew about and all they did was lie and hide the bird the back (previously the bird- was moved to different stores- maybe cause others saw something and send something?) I made a huge stink about the bird and they took it the vet to have the band removed then sent the bird to another store. While the impeded band was removed the bird still had a massive untreated infection. This was a very expensive bird. The most expensive one I've ever seen at their store).

I now realize me alerting the employees to a sick or injured animal isn't really letting them know as they take care of these animals everyday. They know and choose to do nothing. Going back I'd definitely do things differently

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That’s terrible; a tight band would really hurt. But I don’t think any store would compensate you for vet care. Have you successfully gotten one to?

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
There is always a chance they won't but that's why I said take the birds from the store to the vet. It maybe they are all ready treated and are recovering as another member mentioned. It couldn't hurt calling Ac and you can remain anonymous.