• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Finch Leg Injury after Escape

chicken221

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone, my poor finch escaped two nights ago night and he spend a while flying around a large room. He seemed to take a bit of a hard landing a few times and I was so scared he was going to hurt himself. Honestly, I am surprised he survived the shock of it all. He is 8 years old, but very lively.

After leaving him in the room for an hour to see if he would go back in his cage, I was able to come back in the room and grab him gently as he was under the couch (and too scared to move much).

It’s been about 30 hours now and he is eating, drinking, occasionally beeping (but not his normal happy singing :( ) He does spend some time on the floor of his cage but he is mostly on perches or in his nest. He seems to be unable to lift his leg onto the perch/unable to close it around the perch. When he is on the ground, he sort of splays his leg out, as if he can’t really move it well. I am really worried about him, but I don’t want to cause him more stress by trying to investigate his leg up close. There’s no blood or open wound, luckily. He didnt seem to hit anything head-on when I watched him fly around the room, just that he did seem to make some hard landings.

Could this be a strain/sprain? Is it broken? I worry so much that he is suffering. Can rest fix this? The closest avian vet is 1.5 hours away. He is 8 years old. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!