• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch claws getting too long

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Hi Everyone

I've got a few Java Finches in the aviary whose claws have become seriously long and I need a bit of advice on what items I could put in the aviary that would help mitigate the problem in a similar way as what happens in the wild.

They're not tame and I've never handled them since the day I got them. Also, I have no experience of claw-clipping and am scared that I'd hurt them.

Should I put a rough rock or something in there? Wooden branches don't seem to be helping. Any other effective solutions?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Pumice and cement perches can help but there claws may need to be clipped still eventually. Is there an avian vet nearby you that can do it if your uncomfortable?

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get a couple of perches.

And I'll try to do a bit of clipping but I need some more info on that. I'm not sure how much to clip off. Does the length that can be clipped increase with the overall length of the claw? In other words, if the claw is really long can more be clipped off than if the overall length is shorter? Or is the amount that can be clipped always the same regardless of the overall length of the claw? Thanks again.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get a couple of perches.

And I'll try to do a bit of clipping but I need some more info on that. I'm not sure how much to clip off. Does the length that can be clipped increase with the overall length of the claw? In other words, if the claw is really long can more be clipped off than if the overall length is shorter? Or is the amount that can be clipped always the same regardless of the overall length of the claw? Thanks again.
Only cut off a small bit at the end of the nails. If they are super long you can do this every couple weeks giving the quick time to recede. Make sure you have cornstarch close by incase you accidentally cut the quick and it starts bleeding.

Is it possible to have a avian vet or experienced bird person show you how to do it first?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
^^ this is correct but I want to emphasize if you quick one, get the bleeding stopped. Pronto! They can bleed out in no time.

If the nails are light colored you can hold it by a strong light and see the quick inside. Don’t cut up against it, leave a little space.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Great-sounding advice, guys, thanks so much. @finchly, these Java claws are very light colored so I will definitely follow your instructions and check first. Cheers!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Danita sells these flagstone perches at her store T4W that really help keep my Quaker's nails from growing as fast as they used to. I would highly recommend them! In fact right now I believe she has a set or two left in the red light sale going on that could probably work for finches

Screenshot_20190811-081253_Samsung Internet.jpg
SALE - Surprise Group RLS!!! | Page 5 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If I'm wrong and they're not for sale anymore you can check out her store. She's got more on her site.