• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Final Decision

Birbz

Moving in
Hi again! So, in the last thread I made, I asked about which bird species might be right for me. I ended up buying a beautiful turquoise yellow sided green cheek conure who is little enough that I haven't brought him/her home yet. That'll be important in a second.

I went to a bird store that's closer to me a few days ago to take a look at some cages and things, and I ended up by the cockatiels (I can never resist saying hello while I'm there!). After saying hello to a few of the birds, I ended up spending some time with a sweet little tiel that sat on my shoulder and nibbled my hair. I'll call this bird "she" from now on, as that's what the colors of her plumage point to. I have to admit, I really like this bird-I can easily see being her owner.

However, obvious problem-I've already bought another bird. I'm really conflicted on whether to stay with the green cheek I bought and see how it goes, or to buy the tiel I met (assuming the store I purchased the gcc from will accept returns). Could anyone offer some advice? Thanks :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't see why the pet store you bought the green cheek from wouldn't give you a refund. The baby is still in their store and hasn't been exposed to any stress from being taken from it's current environment. Personalities are quite different between the two species. I'd say visit the green cheek again and see if you are still "taken" by it. Read up on the "good the bad and the ugly" on each one and see which you think will be more of a companion for your personality type. I chose green cheeks and crimson bellies because they don't produce the dander that other smaller birds do like the cockatiel and I am an artist so I love bright colors as well as the comical personalities conures have. We have many tiels here on the forum, they are beautiful and can be great companions as well... just ask all the tiel owners! Go with the one who speaks to your heart more..

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hard call to make. Birds aren't like picking out a car. Have you spent time with both to see who interacts with you thr most?

Both are great bird species, Tiels are cute and so inquisitive. Conures are just as cute, so that's a tough decision.

I would get both, but that's me!

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
I saw your first thread and wanted to weigh in earlier but couldn't remember my password. I have experience with a lot of different species. I used to raise cockatiels and honestly they are my favorite parrot species. I purchased a gcc after years of being birdless and there have been so many times I have thought of rehoming him. I haven't even had him a year. They aren't nippy, they are bitey. There are few out there who are lucky enough to have a non bitey one... but that seems a rare thing to me. Bagel is the first bird I have ever had who spends as much time in his cage as he does because there are days that I just can't take it.

I'm used to having my birds out all the time. I have never had so many biting issues with cockatoos, cockatiels, African greys, eclectus... This is my first conure.

They are funny and monkey like. They are cute. Beyond that I don't understand why anyone would choose a hand fed gcc over a handfed cockatiel. I would not recommend. This weekend I was ready to GIVE him away.. but we have reconciled since then. The past several days have been good and I've been trying to concentrate on our bond. I might start some trick training.

I wanted an easy going, non complicated bird. I got a bird that is just as much of a nutcase as I am. It's the biting. I don't like to get bit. I have been bit by bigger birds, but the difference here is I think with a GCC it's a lifelong commitment to getting bit. Some days he will just grab my finger and try to gnaw on it for no apparent reason. I tried just putting him in his cage as soon as hit bit- this just led to him refusing to step off my hand and then more biting. It's a cycle.

I'm not asking for advice.. I know pretty much what to do, it's a process-but it's not one I wanted to be part of when I was searching. I feel like when you look up GCC you get all the cutesy stuff and people don't' accentuate enough how hard they can be to live with.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I saw your first thread and wanted to weigh in earlier but couldn't remember my password. I have experience with a lot of different species. I used to raise cockatiels and honestly they are my favorite parrot species. I purchased a gcc after years of being birdless and there have been so many times I have thought of rehoming him. I haven't even had him a year. They aren't nippy, they are bitey. There are few out there who are lucky enough to have a non bitey one... but that seems a rare thing to me. Bagel is the first bird I have ever had who spends as much time in his cage as he does because there are days that I just can't take it.

I'm used to having my birds out all the time. I have never had so many biting issues with cockatoos, cockatiels, African greys, eclectus... This is my first conure.

They are funny and monkey like. They are cute. Beyond that I don't understand why anyone would choose a hand fed gcc over a handfed cockatiel. I would not recommend. This weekend I was ready to GIVE him away.. but we have reconciled since then. The past several days have been good and I've been trying to concentrate on our bond. I might start some trick training.

I wanted an easy going, non complicated bird. I got a bird that is just as much of a nutcase as I am. It's the biting. I don't like to get bit. I have been bit by bigger birds, but the difference here is I think with a GCC it's a lifelong commitment to getting bit. Some days he will just grab my finger and try to gnaw on it for no apparent reason. I tried just putting him in his cage as soon as hit bit- this just led to him refusing to step off my hand and then more biting. It's a cycle.

I'm not asking for advice.. I know pretty much what to do, it's a process-but it's not one I wanted to be part of when I was searching. I feel like when you look up GCC you get all the cutesy stuff and people don't' accentuate enough how hard they can be to live with.
I had the exact opposite experience. We had three tiels that were a nightmare. Had them over a year and they never got any friendlier, plus the dander was actually kilking me, as I have asthma. My conures are so much different. Yes, they can be nippy, but only if you do something to upset them. Hey, I would nip too. Again it is part bird, part parront.

Birbz

Moving in
Would you have enough room for both?
I do, but I've never really owned birds before, so I think I'd be a little overwhelmed by having two different species. And I hear that conures and cockatiels don't always get along?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do, but I've never really owned birds before, so I think I'd be a little overwhelmed by having two different species. And I hear that conures and cockatiels don't always get along?
Generally, conures and cockatiels shouldn't really be housed together, especially if they were not together in the first place. Tiels are easily bullied by other species and a conure could easily kill a tiel. If you are just planning on a single cage then just get the one bird (although I'm strongly in favour of having 2 of the same species together!). If you have separate cages and the time commitment then it's fine! (although I'm not sure about tiel dust for conures... Can others weigh in?)

I can't speak for conures, but my tiels have been great "starter" birds. Skitterish but on the whole quite forgiving, on the quieter side and comical.

No matter what we say, if your heart tells you one thing you should go with it. And while you are making those visits, take plenty of photos for us nosey bird people :rolleyes:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I prefer to have the bird to pick you. It's going to be easier for you to tell with a bird that's grown up, vs a baby.

Birds are as individual as we are. My little Rupert is incredibly sweet. He has moments, days, and hours where he can be a stinker, but we deal with it. I can handle being hands off, or we can work on training, or play roughly with his toys... chew on toys, whatever. Just be aware of the changes in body language and remember that punishment doesn't work.

That little Tiel seems (to me) that he/she might have chosen you. But do spend time with both so you get a better idea.

20200129_130714.jpg

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie

Thank you for the hard, but honest truth, that comes from someone who has walked the walk. I know every bird is different, but I have heard of gcc's being neurotic little birds who love to bite. They are sooooo cute, but I am like you, I don't like getting bitten, especially on a regular basis.