• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fermented foods

Avian Rook

Meeting neighbors
Can I give my Cockatiels fermented grains like rice and wheat and cooked rice as feed ?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :smileflower:

Cooked rice and wheat, yes... but fermented I'm not sure of... When you say fermented, would that be remnants of distilling?
I've asked previously about feeding them the Kombucha... they weren't sure, but didn't recommend it.

Feeding a mix of vegie, sprouts, grains etc is good...
Wait for more comments ...

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
No, because fermented rice is either miso (far too salty) or saki (alcohol shouldn't be given to birds). Rice can also carry Bacillus cereus which can cause food poisoning in humans and birds by leaving it to sit on a counter at room temperature which is how many fermented foods are made.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are handling the fermentation process correctly, it is no more hazardous than sprouting grains. And it can provide similar benefits benefits - softening the grains and improving the nutritional profile, compared with dry feed. Fermentation is an old method for preserving foods, because the fermentation process prevents many harmful bacteria from growing and allows the food to be stored longer without losing quality. The bacteria involved in fermentation are considered "probiotics". They are generally not harmful if consumed.

I haven't heard of people fermenting feed for parrots, but use of silage and other fermented feeds in farm animals has a long history of practice. I haven't done it myself, but some people recommend it as a way to improve the diet of your chickens.

Here is a short guide that explains in more detail:

It should be safe, so long as you follow clean practices, but be sure to do your own research. Just like with sprouting and canning, if you do it wrong, there is a danger of food poisoning.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If anyone is interested, here is an article that briefly describes the differences between sprouting, soaking, and souring (fermentation) grains or seeds.

No, because fermented rice is either miso (far too salty) or saki (alcohol shouldn't be given to birds).
Miso is made from fermented soybeans. Sake is made from rice, but it is only the liquid produced from prolonged fermentation. There are other fermented rice products, like tapai or juniang, which involve less time and no added salts. These are more like what you might offer as animal feed.

One thing to be aware of is that even though the fermentation time is shorter, a small amount of alcohol is produced when making fermented sweet rice, like tapai. Not an issue for people, but a potential concern for birds.

Interestingly, some birds, including wild parrots, have been observed eating fermented fruits and nectars in the wild ... and birds can get drunk. Not surprisingly, it doesn't take much alcohol for a bird to act inebriated. And too much alcohol can be potentially fatal. So caution is advised.

If you do plan on offering fermented rice or other grains, steps should be taken to minimize or remove alcohol from the final product.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Miso is made from fermented soybeans.
Miso can be made from soy, barley, rice, or a combination like they do with aka miso. Rice is often used as the food for the koji-kin to start the fermentation process, barley is another.

Avian Rook

Meeting neighbors
By fermentation i meant rice and wheat grains soaked in water for a couple of days i feed my chickens daily with it and they love it .it provides easy digestibility and nutrition uptake that is why i wanted to know if it is okay to give it to Cockatiels