• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Non-egg-layers?

Has your adult female parrot laid an egg or eggs?

• My female parrot has never laid an egg

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • My female parrot has never laid an egg that I know of

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • My female parrot has laid an egg or eggs

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • My female parrot is a chronic egg layer

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm curious about something, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from as many members with adult female companion parrots as possible.

So, please answer in the poll whether or not your parrot has laid eggs and post in the thread any relevant details. How many of you have a fully mature adult female non-breeder parrot who has never laid an egg? And, then, please post to the thread the species and age of your non-egg-layer and whether or not she has companionship of a male of her own or a closely related (meaning they could possibly produce offspring) species and any other information you think might be relevant, such as bonding, health concerns, etc.

If you have more than one parrot, you may select more than one option.

Thanks! :)

Edited to add:

One blue and gold macaw DNA female here, 9 years of age, no eggs, no male companion of compatible species, no health concerns.

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I don't see the poll option?

But I have a 6 year old Senegal hen and a 8 year old Red-bellied hen and neither have ever laid eggs. Well I'm 100% sure for Shadel (as I've had her all along), and mostly certain about Pixel, although I only got her in 2010, previous owner did not mention anything about her laying eggs.

I have a number of small male Pois around the same age, and both hens can be quite friendly with Zuri (as in preening each other). Still no eggs and I hope it remains that way.

edit to add - poll options have since appeared.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see the poll option?

But I have a 6 year old Senegal hen and a 8 year old Red-bellied hen and neither have ever laid eggs. Well I'm 100% sure for Shadel (as I've had her all along), and mostly certain about Pixel, although I only got her in 2010, previous owner did not mention anything about her laying eggs.

I have a number of small male Pois around the same age, and both hens can be quite friendly with Zuri (as in preening each other). Still no eggs and I hope it remains that way.

It's up now, or should be :) Okay, so two adult hens for you and no eggs. Thanks!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have two female budgies who are approximately three years old each (Little Alice we got from humane society so she could be older) and neither of them (Jaqueline or Little Alice) have laid eggs..They do have a mate but he is not in the same cage with them. Baby Boy Blue is only allowed out about three or four times a day for an hour at a stretch..as the tiels hate his guts and it is sheer chaos in here when he is out..their cage is open while we are here but neither has ventured out, ever..though Baby Boy Blue goes in for visits..he does not mate with them and has never tried to though he does feed them..We are always concerned about them and hope that they do not lay eggs. ON the other hand we had Charlotte the canary who never laid an egg..but her friend Terribl eTweets was a chronic egg layer...Princess Mitch lays eggs and it is a real worry but we seem to have stopped her as we flooded her nest with false eggs and she has not laid one in many many months though her partner & her often do the nasty as for Samantha, well she is chronic and has laid hundred, yes hundreds of eggs...We have tried everything in our power (and the vet's power) to stop her and the only thing that will is removal of her mate..(my husband) We keep her as healthy as possible and pray a lot...so far so good.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'll chime in some more.

My mother has mostly male birds. She's fostering a female African Grey who had a history of laying eggs and has laid a few at my mom's. Not sure of her age.

She also has another female African Grey who might not be all that mature yet (again, not sure of age). That one never laid an egg and I'm not sure she'll go that route, she's much more into human companionship than bird companionship.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I voted on the chronic egg layer because of Sam though I have two budgies who have never laid.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll chime in some more.

My mother has mostly male birds. She's fostering a female African Grey who had a history of laying eggs and has laid a few at my mom's. Not sure of her age.

She also has another female African Grey who might not be all that mature yet (again, not sure of age). That one never laid an egg and I'm not sure she'll go that route, she's much more into human companionship than bird companionship.
Interesting. :) I really do wonder about the age of the Grey with the history of egg-laying and particularly when it started.

Rightly or wrongly, I worry about Keene more than the others. But, with the addition of Jewel, I've got 4 gals here now...

I voted on the chronic egg layer because of Sam though I have two budgies who have never laid.
Thanks, Anne. Valuable info :) You should be able to choose more than one option, though... (I hope it's letting people do that, anyway)...

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Iv had Nala since she was a year old(if what her old owner said is true,because she's not banded} and I'll have her 6 years on the 26th of this month and never has she laid an egg with me. Its possible she laid before I adopted her,but I was never told this and again if what they said is true she was still rather young to be laying.

She's a DNA'd Green Cheek Conure,almost 7 years of age. I did have another GCC years ago that was thought to be male,but never DNA'd and they didnt like getting close to each other so no mating could have happened.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Iv had Nala since she was a year old(if what her old owner said is true,because she's not banded} and I'll have her 6 years on the 26th of this month and never has she laid an egg with me. Its possible she laid before I adopted her,but I was never told this and again if what they said is true she was still rather young to be laying.

She's a DNA'd Green Cheek Conure,almost 7 years of age. I did have another GCC years ago that was thought to be male,but never DNA'd and they didnt like getting close to each other so no mating could have happened.
Thanks, April. Good info :hug8:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Bella is 13. Eggs in previous homes but none with me. She does some mutual feeding with LaFitte but no mating. She has been with me almost 2 years.

Lolly is 12 and I have no clue on her history. She will not let any other bird near her so I'm pretty sure she is an old maid!

Rose is 7. She raised 3 clutches in 2009 with her mate LaFitte. When I removed the nest box she didn't lay again for almost 2 years and then it was from a perch. She had no interest in that egg. About a year later she laid another off a perch. No interest again. However, she is very interested in working on cardboard or anything that can be turned into a nest. She continued mating with LaFitte after the nest box was removed but no eggs, as I said. Then sometime after Bella arrived, LaFitte divorced Rose. She taught their son, Sailor, the ropes but they are not paired. She doesn't solicit feeding or mating from any of the others but will harm LaFitte if given the chance.

Lucy will be 4 in February. She has not laid. She watches her mom but is not yet soliciting feeding or mating from any of the males.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bella is 13. Eggs in previous homes but none with me. She does some mutual feeding with LaFitte but no mating.
How long have you had her, Kathy? :)

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Pepper has not yet laid an egg. But she's only a little more than a year and a half old, no telling what the future holds.

I do keep them at 12 or more hours of darkness, and actively discourage nesty behavior.

Years ago, I had a female tiel who was a chronic layer. It's sad. And 25-30 years ago, I didn't find any advice how to change things for her. Vet had no ideas except let her sit on the eggs. She was like a little chicken, and laid an egg pretty much every other day for months at a time.

I let her have several clutches of babies, and she was a great mom, but would start laying again as the babies fledged.

I'm doing what I can to avoid that this time. Monica died much too young (eleven) due to the constant egg laying.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I've had Makana for all her 12 years, and she's never laid. Kali did not lay in her previous home, and has not laid here...she's 8 years old. Pipkin laid her first eggs (2) last year at age 5.

The only male in the house is Topaz...I don't think he has any influence on the girls here! :D :lol:

Edited to add: No health concerns.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Yoshi came to me as a boy so I assume no eggs in her first home. She was claimed to be 5 at the time. She was 7? when she laid an egg and realized he was really a she! None since. There were other quakers in her old home but none here. Only difference was Herbie - a male macaw - was here at the time and shared a room with her.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Chiku has never laid an egg that I know of, but I'm not her first owner. I would need to create extremely favourable conditions for her to do so. I'd need 6 inches of PVC pipe filled with a sawdust/mud mixture leading to a heated nest box. Hooded Parrots love to dig and in the wild will excavate a nest chamber into an active termite mound. :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I have one egg layer here. Baby My B&G Mac has been laying one or 2 eggs a year for a few years now-She is 14 years old now! She is on 2 eggs right now:(

As for the rest of the flock-6 of My 8 Greys,My Sennie and My Meyers are ALL over 15 years old and I have not had eggs from any of them! I have never had them sexed either-BUT I'm sure the odds are that I have some females in the Flock;):hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one egg layer here. Baby My B&G Mac has been laying one or 2 eggs a year for a few years now-She is 14 years old now! She is on 2 eggs right now:(

As for the rest of the flock-6 of My 8 Greys,My Sennie and My Meyers are ALL over 15 years old and I have not had eggs from any of them! I have never had them sexed either-BUT I'm sure the odds are that I have some females in the Flock;):hug8:
Any educated guesses on the gender of any of the Greys, Bonnie? I mean, based on grey-edged tail covert feathers and round eyes and head shape and the like? I'm particularly interested in any Greys that you're pretty certain are female :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucy (CAG) 10-20yo was said to be a breeder at one time, but the source of that info was not very reliable :rolleyes: I've had her since 07 and no eggs. She's allowed Corkey to feed her but that's all.

Olivia (LCA) 9 yo No eggs that I know of, and no same species male.

Status
Not open for further replies.