• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female budgie wanting to chew wallpaper

ilmatar

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone,

My two (new) budgies have been enjoying out of cage time for about a month and a half (I wasn't comfortable letting them out until they were somewhat tame because I was afraid they might injure themselves).

As they get more confident with me and the ability to explore the room, they have started doing some things I'd really like to discourage. For example, my female has recently taken an interest in landing on my textured wallpaper and started chewing at it. I've just been trying to 'spook' her away with a small towel, but I feel that may not be the best approach because I want her to trust me, not fear me. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can discourage such behavior and can this be 'trained out' of her? As a reference they have three natural perches they chew on and two toys that they can destroy, as well as a few other toys. (they had another 'chew' toy but the female broke it )
I'm just not really sure why she's started doing this in the first place, but she's always been a bit of a chewer and biter.

Thanks in advance!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think females are known for chewing. @Destiny 's chew wood.

Can you cover the wallpaper or is it all over the room?

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone,

My two (new) budgies have been enjoying out of cage time for about a month and a half (I wasn't comfortable letting them out until they were somewhat tame because I was afraid they might injure themselves).

As they get more confident with me and the ability to explore the room, they have started doing some things I'd really like to discourage. For example, my female has recently taken an interest in landing on my textured wallpaper and started chewing at it. I've just been trying to 'spook' her away with a small towel, but I feel that may not be the best approach because I want her to trust me, not fear me. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can discourage such behavior and can this be 'trained out' of her? As a reference they have three natural perches they chew on and two toys that they can destroy, as well as a few other toys. (they had another 'chew' toy but the female broke it )
I'm just not really sure why she's started doing this in the first place, but she's always been a bit of a chewer and biter.

Thanks in advance!
budgies need shredding toys, to prevent behaviors like this! If you notice anything odd after they may have ingested the wallpaper, contact an avian vet! they tend to like to shred and chew things. I'm going to link some good toys for her!

BIRD KABOB: https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-Original-Bird-Kabob-Shreddable/dp/B00134MCPI?th=1 (available at other places too!)

SHREDDERS: Rainbow Shredders

Shredders Natural

PREENER/SHREDDER: Crunchy Hedgehog Preener by Cheep Thrills Bird Toys

FORAGING/SHREDDING: Frizzle Frazzle Forager by Cheep Thrills Bird Toys

PAPER SHREDDER: Bonka Bird Toys 0038 Small Shredmaster. | Etsy

she could be doing this because of the spring time, some birds become a bit of a heavier chewer than usual ! hope these help

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is she landing directly on the wall itself or near the wall?

Budgies are big chewers, despite their small size. Girls are especially driven to chew by hormones, although both genders like to do it just for fun. Offering them safe options and discouraging or blocking them from unsafe or bad choices is a good idea and should help. Unfortunately, budgies can be extremely persistent, so it is not always easy to redirect or deter them from problematic chewing.

If possible, blocking access is your best choice. Move easy perches away from the walls and cover accessible areas with something that is either too hard to chew or okay to chew.

For example, if they have a favorite spot to stop and chew on the wall, you could block them with a piece of cardboard that can be easily replaced when necessary. They will enjoy destroying the cardboard and you will enjoy having intact walls. This would not work so great if they are attracted to the entire wall, but it might help if there are certain "hot spots".

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I like Destiny's approach there.
My Fiona loves to chew - fortunately she doesn't land outside her cage except ON the cage, or in the old travel cage in the room they used to be in. I moved them out of my bedroom because they weren't getting enough sunshine, but probably in the hot summer they will move back in my room. Oh, which reminds me - she used to land on the window sill in the bedroom, and managed to chew quite a bit of the trim. I put painter's tape over the spot where she was chewing, and it seems she forgot about it. At least for awhile.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Budgies love chewing :heart:

my solution is to provide them with a playgym, and lots of toys and materials that are safe for them to chew. Maybe clip some millet to it to draw their interest initially. My experience with budgies is that distraction works better than trying to stop them doing something!

Dorcas George

Ditto on the chewing and getting nice chew toys. But you are right, don't be using a towel to scare her off the wall paper if you can help it. You don't want to scare her. Good luck!

ilmatar

Sitting on the front steps
I think females are known for chewing. @Destiny 's chew wood.

Can you cover the wallpaper or is it all over the room?
The wallpaper is all over the room and, at the moment, it's not possible to move them into another area. Hopefully soon, we'll be moving and that will fix this issue.

budgies need shredding toys, to prevent behaviors like this! If you notice anything odd after they may have ingested the wallpaper, contact an avian vet! they tend to like to shred and chew things. I'm going to link some good toys for her!

BIRD KABOB: https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-Original-Bird-Kabob-Shreddable/dp/B00134MCPI?th=1 (available at other places too!)

SHREDDERS: Rainbow Shredders

Shredders Natural

PREENER/SHREDDER: Crunchy Hedgehog Preener by Cheep Thrills Bird Toys

FORAGING/SHREDDING: Frizzle Frazzle Forager by Cheep Thrills Bird Toys

PAPER SHREDDER: Bonka Bird Toys 0038 Small Shredmaster. | Etsy

she could be doing this because of the spring time, some birds become a bit of a heavier chewer than usual ! hope these help
Neither of the birds ate any wallpaper, I just saw her become interested in it and got her to go away immediately. She does seem to have started chewing more often and more 'fervently' than before, maybe it's because of spring, like you said. She has toys that she can chew and shred. She likes to shred the wood toys we got and the new toy with dried grasses. They seem to help, but she still wants to chew the wall.

Thanks for the links to the toys. I'll see if any are available where I live.

Is she landing directly on the wall itself or near the wall?

Budgies are big chewers, despite their small size. Girls are especially driven to chew by hormones, although both genders like to do it just for fun. Offering them safe options and discouraging or blocking them from unsafe or bad choices is a good idea and should help. Unfortunately, budgies can be extremely persistent, so it is not always easy to redirect or deter them from problematic chewing.

If possible, blocking access is your best choice. Move easy perches away from the walls and cover accessible areas with something that is either too hard to chew or okay to chew.

For example, if they have a favorite spot to stop and chew on the wall, you could block them with a piece of cardboard that can be easily replaced when necessary. They will enjoy destroying the cardboard and you will enjoy having intact walls. This would not work so great if they are attracted to the entire wall, but it might help if there are certain "hot spots".
Yes, she lands directly on the wall. I moved the cage out away from the wall a long time ago because she would sit on top of the cage and try to chew the paper that way (and even before I let them out of the cage, she'd try to peck it from between the bars). She forgot about it after I had pulled the cage away but now it seems she's figured out another way to get to it. I can distract her when I use a perch to play with them - they like to land on it and fly back and forth between it and the cage.

BirbDex

Strolling the yard
I don't have a perfect answer for you but I had a budgie who I started catching putting his little tongue on my wall so I had to move his cage away from it and I got them a cuttle bone instead.
So, this may never work but I'm curious could it be texture? the way it crumbles etc? i wonder if cuttlebone might also work for yours, or if they're trying to get something from the wall (thinking like a bird here) they may not be but may be worth a shot.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sorry for the mistake for those who read my message

Ingenarel

Meeting neighbors
I think you should buy a lazar pointer. I use a red lazer pointer.
When my budgies go somewhere they aren't supposed to go, i point the lazer at that area, and they fly away quickly. they are afraid of that red dot.

i hope i will work