• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female budgie unusually lazy

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hello people :) I hope everyone is fine!
I would like to share this post in order to potentially have feedbacks regarding the current odd behaviour of my little female budgie.

Since two weeks she seems unusually lazy and inactive. To explain, she lost interest in flying. She is less curious, less playful and interactive. She became a living perch-potato. When I encourge her to fly she gets tired very easily and fast. She immediately look forward to go back to her perches. She never takes the initiative to fly, whereas the male is just waiting for that.

Apart from that odd behaviour, she does not have any visible sign of illness:
-She eats and drinks normally.
-She sleeps on her fav perch.
-She preens herself and her mate as usual.
-Stools look fine.
-Feathers, beak, cere, eyes, mouth and feet look normal.
-The weight is normal + no visible sign of a mass.
-It does not seem she is molting.

They both are 2 years old, so I cannot attribute this to old age..

I always provide them fresh water with vitamins, veggies & fruits, and protein supplements with their usual seeds mix.

I am not excessively worried to take her to the vet atm, but I am keeping an eye on her. However, I was wondering what do you people think? They are my first budgies so I am not as expert as I assume many of you here are :) Thank you very much!
(My little budgies in the pic attached. In blue, the female.)

Attachments

donutweall

Walking the driveway
2 years old is still young! I would take her to an avian vet. Budgies (all birds really) are good at hiding their illness. She could be sick, suffering from heavy metal poisoning, have liver problems, etc. A lot of these are hard to spot without a blood test.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Has she ever laid an egg before? Could she be preparing to lay?
Just thinking of other possibilities. Ultimately a vet visit would help you get to the bottom of whatever is going on.