• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fell in love with a bunny...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
:heart: I can't stop thinking about him, I can usually admire the adorable rabbits/guinea pigs/dogs/cats etc without being tempted to take them home, but this guy...he stole my heart at first glance. My cat Jasmine did that to me 7 years ago when I saw her at an adoption program at Petco...it was completely unpractical at the time for me to get her, but I did and I couldn't imagine life without her. My older dog Jesse was an impulse adoption 10 years ago, and again, the best decision I could have made. Riley was a bit of an impulse as well...I'd been planning on getting a baby Ekkie, but saw an ad for a 3 yo wild "breeder", met him and fell in love. I really think this little guy will end up being one of those stories for us.

I'm heading in tomorrow morning to see him as soon as they open again after the long weekend, and will hopefully be taking him home with me. He's a Dutch/Netherland Dwarf mix (my two favorite breeds, I had a female of each when I was younger). Am I crazy?? I've always wanted a house bunny, and I honestly think he'd be a good fit for our household. :o:

Any major issues with indoor rabbits that I should be considering? If we do get him I'll be making sure he's neutered when he's old enough, we have a decent cage (and I'll be looking to improve it soon, as well), I feel confident I can provide him with a good diet/toys and lots of out of cage time, will be working on potty training...am I missing anything? What do you guys think? :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awww...he's very cute! :heart:

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Thank you, Marie and Debbie! :) I've been going over that site as well as a few others. Definitely some good info there.

Any name suggestions? ;)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh he is adorable...keep us all updated.

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Best bunny site ever: binkybunny.com. Will go over the importance of proper diet and nutrition, how to litter train, etc and has a great forum!

Sent from my MB501 using Tapatalk

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he is very cute...keep us updated!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Zoet is 'sweet' in Dutch.:) He is adorable, good luck with him.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
He sure is cute!!

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
He's soo cute :heart:
When it's the right one, you know in your heart :). That's how I got my first bunny(he's was sick and going to be put down) I'm fostering another bunny right now who I find just so special.
I find space for bunnies really important, while a good sized cage and lots of play time is great I have enclosures for my bunnies! Kinda like this: Black E-Coat Exercise Pen Offering Quality Dog Pens, Wire Dog Pens & Folding Dog Pens. All at Low Every Day Prices from Cleveland Ohio | PuppyHideOut.com [] - $37.99 : Dog Cages & Dog Crate | PuppyHideOut, Offering Quality Dog Crates, Wire Dog Cages
Oh and of course finding a good vet with experience treating bunnies(which I'm sure you already know). I'm excited for you, keep us updated:dance5:

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
So adorable :heart: I had an indoor bunny and it can get a little smelly if you have hay that gets wet, it needs changing pretty often.And they chew everything like cords and even the material off the bottom of my couch!! So you may need to do a bit of rabbit proofing :D

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Thanks guys...he's here. :D I went in this morning, still not positive, and noticed as soon as I saw him that there was something wrong with his ear and face. I pointed it out to them, and they said that there'd been blood in the cage this morning and they hadn't known why. :mad: Turns out his ear had been bitten through, his face was bitten under his eye, and there was a scabbed over bite on his back as well. They kept asking if I wanted one of the other ones instead...no way! I had to get him out of there, poor dude. All the other bunnies were fine, he was the only one getting picked on...and I'm seriously doubting that they're all only 8 weeks!! Also doubting his breed. He seems to be fine now, a girl who worked there and I put Neosporin on his wounds (all but the ear one seem to be scabbed over now, I'll be keeping a very close eye on them) and he came home with us! :heart:

He's so curious and adorable, a very sweet little guy despite never being handled. Still trying to think of the right name. The only thing that's concerning me is the hay that he eats, I've been sneezing my head off...ruh oh. I'm sure we'll figure something out. :shrug:

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
How exciting!! Bunnies need tons of hay, BUT if the timothy causes problems, try orchard grass. It has the same nutritional aspects as timothy, but may not cause you any allegies.

PICTURES!!!

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Congrats on bringing him home! My cousin has a bunny named Lulu and she is sweet as can be. She is paper trained too which is awesome! She is only in her cage when no one is home or to sleep. I'm sure he will bring you great joy.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Thank you Megan and KJB! :hug8:

I'm DEFINITELY going to look into Orchard Grass lol...thank you for the tip! I did see that at a bunch of stores today, and if it's as good nutritionally and helps with my apparent allergies, YAY for me. :p

Also, he's already only going potty in his litter box, I'm amazed! I put his bed (cardboard box with hole cut out for now) in one corner, litter box in the second corner, water bottle in third and food dish in the fourth...I'd read that they tend to go in corners and don't like going where they eat or sleep, so far it seems to be working. Hopefully he'll keep it up. :)

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Oh, he's a gorgeous bunny! He's in a petstore? Really cute little guy. :)

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Well he's at home in my lap now... ;) lol. But yes, he was at a farmer's co-op, they tend to buy unexpected litters from people around here. I don't feel too bad getting him from there since I know they don't actively seek out rabbit breeders or replace the ones they've sold. Hopefully my logic makes sense...it did in my head anyway...:lol:

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Well, it seemed like he needed someone to come along and get him out of that bulleying situation. Seems like this decision was a good one, so far. :) If I wasn't allergic to rabbits, I'd totally adopt another one! (I don't already have one, I had one a few years ago, but the poor bunny died.) Actually my friend Maryanne has to rehome one of her rabbits due to a sudden change in housing. :/ I told her today, "if we weren't allergic, we'd totally take her!" I don't suppose anyone here is interested in a bunny? :hehe:

Congrats on the new little guy, seems like you're the best person that could have taken him in. :starshower:

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Aww thanks 1parakeet, hopefully he'll be happy here. :)

This morning I was talking to DH more about him, and he said that when he'd gotten home yesterday (after me telling him that there was a surprise at home, and to remember how much he loves me hahaha) he was expecting to see an African Grey or another parrot...it actually sounded like he would've been excited to see one! :eek: Works for me lol, we'd talked about getting a Grey or another Ekkie in the near future. Good to know he wouldn't be too surprised by it muahaha.

He only had outdoor "meat" rabbits when he was little, he's never been around a cute little dwarf...I know he'll warm up. ;) This will work. Now I just need to build a few more levels for his revamped parrot cage! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.