• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeling Lost ad Angry

DocWurst

Moving in
Lost my budgie Thunder today after a horrible and confusing 2 weeks of vet issues. She was only a year and a half old and the most beautiful bird. I guess my first mistake was getting her from a Petco, I know better than to buy animals from pet stores but she was so full of piss and vinegar I justified it. Lesson thoroughly learned unfortunately.
About two weeks ago I noticed she wasn't as active and chirpy as she usually was, I rearranged the cage and swapped out the toys and thought it might be due to the weather change. A week ago she was limping on one side, I felt to make sure there was nothing broken and called the vet who told me it was likely a strained muscle and to see if it would get better in a couple days and it did, although she still wasn't as lively as she used to be but I hoped it was all in my head and that she would be okay. Based on research many people mentioned tumors and I desperately hoped that wouldn't be the case. Yesterday she stopped using the other leg, I rushed her an hour away to an emergency vet that dealt with birds. On the way she started using the leg a bit and was pretty alert, after 5 hours at the vet I was told due to her age and the alternating leg issues it was unlikely to be a tumor and more likely to be nutritional or an infection. The vet did not want to do xrays or blood work because it may stress her out unnecessarily. She was given two injections of metacam and enrofloxacin and they gave me a supply in oral form. She seemed better when she got home and perched on her favorite swing.
When I came home from class today she was on the floor of the cage and in distress. Neither leg was working well and it was clear it was the end. Before I could take her to the vet she died in my hands. I'm devastated and angry. I'm angry at myself for not being more proactive and for supporting pet store trade. I'm angry that after all the hours of research into the best food and the best cage and toys it didn't make a difference. I'm angry that Petco's practices lead to genetic problems and poor quality of life for pets. I'm angry at the world for taking my baby from me. I'm angry that after all this I'll never know what killed her in the end, was it my fault? Was it a genetic predisposition to tumors? Was it a freak infection?
I'm lucky to have my peach fronted conure Diego for company, he's been keeping me company all day. I can tell he's sad to lose his little buddy and I don't know whether I can bring myself to get another bird. It's not fair to him to be alone for long hours while I'm in class or clinicals and he loved being around another bird. I want to rescue a bird but I'm scared they will be unhealthy and die too soon. I would get another budgie from a breeder (like my conure) but I'm afraid something will happen again.
Goodbye Thunder, even though you didn't like people much the whole family loved you. I miss your peeps and the way you always made sure to smack me in the face when you flew around. I wish we had more time together but I hope you were a happy bird while you were here.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry. Did you request a necropsy so that you could find out what was wrong?
Of my 13 birds, 2 came from Petco and have been healthy from day one. Just wanted to mention that as the cause of her passing could be anything at this point in time. Hopefully you still have time to request a necropsy to help find some answers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss :sorrow:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of Thunder.
They fly into our hearts, and leave feather dust on our souls... forever....

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How awful! My heart goes out to you and Diego. :sadhug:

I miss your peeps and the way you always made sure to smack me in the face when you flew around.
:xflove: Thunder sounds like she was a pretty feisty little lady. I know you wish you hadn't gotten her from Petco, but she was so special how could you help it? :heart: There was only one Thunder and she wasn't available from a breeder. Your paths crossed, as and as much as you're hurting now, I'm still glad you had the time you did together. :bluhug:

I found this site after losing our green cheek we'd gotten from PetSmart when he was only a year and a half, too. His death was my fault, not from health reasons but reading through the threads here helped me a lot.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hear your pain and anguish. Please dont be angry. Thunder will always be in your heart. I too had a budgie that died before age of 2 and reading your story brings on tears. The grief will lessen in time but the feather dust in your heart will remain. There is a needy budgie out there for you when you are ready. I can tell you are a good bird person.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sorrow: Budgies are such dear angels////My Bubbles an English left suddenly before 1 year old...She was such a lil bundle of joy...Sorry...

bubbles P1160110.jpg

bubbles P 116 089.jpg

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss, and it’s in no way your fault, so please don’t blame yourself. I hope you soon find comfort in your memories of Thunder, who I’m sure knew he was loved and well cared for.
:sadhug2:

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
I’m so sorry you had to lose Thunder. Budgies are special big little birds. By buying her at Petco, you gave her a special love she may not of known from anyone else. Take care to be extra vigilant with your other bird in case Thunder was ill with something contagious. Big hugs :bluhug:.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so very sorry. It hurts so badly! :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sadly, your story is not uncommon with pet store budgies. They usually come from bird mills. Are there any rescues near you? Why don't you think about adopting a bird and giving a bird a second chance. :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sorry for your loss, never an easy thing to go through.

DocWurst

Moving in
Thanks to everyone for the support and condolences, she was a tiny bird and didn't like people but she had a huge personality and she's missed by many! I hope she's happy wherever she is, no doubt harassing the other birds. :budgie10: It's too late for an autopsy as she's already at the crematorium and I'm not sure if knowing would help or hurt. She was my first bird and I researched everything so thoroughly so I anticipated her living a lot longer and it came as a shock. She lived a very extravagant and comfortable life compared to what most budgies get and that's what keeps me going.

How awful! My heart goes out to you and Diego. :sadhug:

:xflove: Thunder sounds like she was a pretty feisty little lady. I know you wish you hadn't gotten her from Petco, but she was so special how could you help it? :heart: There was only one Thunder and she wasn't available from a breeder. Your paths crossed, as and as much as you're hurting now, I'm still glad you had the time you did together. :bluhug:

I found this site after losing our green cheek we'd gotten from PetSmart when he was only a year and a half, too. His death was my fault, not from health reasons but reading through the threads here helped me a lot.
She was the feistiest thing I've ever seen. When I first saw her she was playing with the beads on one of those mirror toys and whenever another budgie would try to come over she would chase them away. She was the tiniest one there and still sassed everyone!
I've been lurking around this site for over a year for tips and advice and the species profiles but never made an account until now, I'm glad to finally be here officially.
I'm sorry to hear about your green cheek, conures are very special little guys. Diego is the best little friend I could ask for and even helps with my med school studying.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sadly, your story is not uncommon with pet store budgies. They usually come from bird mills. Are there any rescues near you? Why don't you think about adopting a bird and giving a bird a second chance. :)
I should have known better, I have always had the worst luck with pet store pets :sad14:. I think this was the final straw for me, never again! She had quite a few recessive color mutations so who knows if there was inbreeding or something else insidious genetically.
There is a rescue about 30 minutes away from me in Battle Creek MI, Birds and Beaks Rescue. I've been following them for a while since some high-profile bird hoarding seizures made the news and they seem like a wonderful place. I would love to rescue a bird and know that I need a companion for Diego, he's never been a lone bird and I can tell he misses the company. He hasn't talked since Sunday and usually I can't get him to stop. :pfc2: I'm kind of nervous about rescue in case there are health issues that will just put me through the same misery, but it would be nice to give a down-on-their-luck bird a loving and luxurious life. The trick will be finding the right bird that won't get me evicted for noise.