• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding Dish Help

Parrot414

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello All,
I really need Feed/Water Bowl suggestions for a birb with some behavior concerns. First post and I figured this would be the right place to ask. I have a 4yr old Crimson Bellied Conure and he's just the best. He gets tons of love and is well fed and cared for everyday as I mostly work from home. I'm looking for help and advice as I've tried many different feeding dishes in the past and they all seem to have consequences. With stainless steel is, he sees his reflection and becomes territorial, even wants to nest in the bowl with his food, sometimes attempting to climax in his food. Non-reflective non-fixed ceramic bowls, he drags them all over the cage, poops on them, and then uses them to pleasure himself, also gets territorial. Now he has the JW Insight Clean Cup and it has worked brilliantly in curbing all of those behaviors including aggression. BUT, he has recently discovered that he can chomp off the clear bits of plastic that cover the cup and I'm scared for him to ingest it. Is there something similar but made of sterner stuff? Any help or advice is welcome, thank you.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA! Your boy is gorgeous! So thrilled to see another CBC owner they seem to be on the rarer side still. I just got my boy about 2 weeks ago and he's such a joy so sweet and loving. I have a SS steel water bowl for Tobias and did get one for his food bowl as well but I'm still waiting for it to be sent. In the mean time he's using this SC4301-B Smart Crock 5 oz bowl blue - SMART CROCK (mysafebirdstore.com) and I really like it and so does he. Maybe this could work? Psst btw I'd love to hear how you came to have your boy and what he's like and more pics pretty pretty please :heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I wonder if it would remedy the situation to put vet wrap on the edges of the plastic?
:welcome2: :heart:
Are you familiar with vet wrap @Parrot414 ? Yes, welcome, and what a cutie you have!

LarryBird

Meeting neighbors
Vendor
Real Name
Diana
He looks like an awesome bird! Is it just the food bowl or is he behaving like that with some of his other cage items? Because if it's more than the food bowl, I wonder if the hormones can be calmed down with a little more time with the cage covered at night as light can stimulate hormones... just a thought!

Parrot414

Checking out the neighborhood
He looks like an awesome bird! Is it just the food bowl or is he behaving like that with some of his other cage items? Because if it's more than the food bowl, I wonder if the hormones can be calmed down with a little more time with the cage covered at night as light can stimulate hormones... just a thought!
Hi Larrybird,
He gets a bit territorial around his cage in general, but the things I mentioned exacerbate the problem. He gets a full 12hrs on average of covered time. I just need help with any feeder recommendations. Thank you!