• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathers color change

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
I thought it was worth mentioning about the water. What is the source of the filtered water? I'm not sure what macaw owners would recommend as far as seed goes. You've already been advised to substitute the sunflower seeds for almonds, pine nuts, walnut or pistachios. I give my amazons a small amount of seed for bedtime... about a teaspoon in a separate cup and that's it. They also get almond, walnut and once in a while a piece of pecan. ( neither one will eat pistachios or shelled pine nuts, pine nuts with shell they will eat.) I sprinkle a few pellets ( smaller than their regular pellets but the same brand) in with those seed as well to make the bowl look a bit more full because a teaspoon of seed looks like nothing and they have to forage more for them. It won't hurt for her to not have seed but gradually give less until there aren't any. She'll transition over. What exactly are the fruits and vegetables?
I am giving them bananas, blueberry, apple, pear, plum, peach, orange, carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, lettuce.
Sometimes: papaya, watermelon, grape, green beans.
Also: wheat, lentil (cooked or watered),
Seldom: boild chicken breast or boild fish.
We use tap water, but after filtration. (We also drink the same water)

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
She does look pretty good - shiny, good color, no black feathers and some stress bars. I would cut out the sunflower seeds and find another less fatty treats like almonds or pistachios. The lack of weight gain would worry me more than the feather color. Feathers that indicate a liver problem generally turn black.You can start her on Milk thistle extract, just in case. It won't harm her, but will give her liver support. Be sure you get the non-alcoholic extract and give her about .3ml per day.

Please include a picture of her poop.

Start searching for a veterinarian - it is essential.
Could you please advise how should I give milk thistle extract to my bird? Do I need to mix it with water or I give directly to the beak?
It must be 3 mL per day, all together or it should be given by portions?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am giving them bananas, blueberry, apple, pear, plum, peach, orange, carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, lettuce.
Sometimes: papaya, watermelon, grape, green beans.
Also: wheat, lentil (cooked or watered),
Seldom: boild chicken breast or boild fish.
We use tap water, but after filtration. (We also drink the same water)
I'll leave it to the macaw group regarding the fruits, though to me it sounds like a lot of natural sugar but it depends on the quantity you feed her on a daily basis. How about the pipes to your home... are they copper pipes? It wouldn't affect you as it would her. It would be interesting though, if your pipes were copper ( fairly new or older home? ), you switched to a different water source until she went through her next molt to see if the new feathers would come in the normal color.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For the Milk Thistle, you just take a 1cc syringe and fill it to 0.3cc and give it all directly to her in her beak once a day.

That is a lot of fruit you are giving her. I give my girl a piece of fruit about three times a week. There is way too much sugar in fruit - see if you can't switch most of that fruit over to veggies.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
For the Milk Thistle, you just take a 1cc syringe and fill it to 0.3cc and give it all directly to her in her beak once a day.

That is a lot of fruit you are giving her. I give my girl a piece of fruit about three times a week. There is way too much sugar in fruit - see if you can't switch most of that fruit over to veggies.
Ok, I will do that. Thank you very much :)