• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathers above cere, could this be URTI?

fizzlyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hello all!

I have four budgies. Luna (female, 3 years) and Sadie (female, 2 years) have some staining and "stiff" feathers that almost look like pins above their ceres. In the photo you can see it on Sadie. Luna (left of Sadie, white) has the same sort of marks and Frida (right of Sadie, green) has none.

I have noticed some sneezing from them about 2-3 times per day. I am concerned that they may have a respiratory infection, but truthfully I don't know enough. No tail bobbing or difficulty breathing but I'd rather catch any issues quickly. Just looking for advice while waiting for a vet appointment.

Has anyone seen this? I've seen some other posts that suggest if it were nasal discharge it would be in two "sprays" above the cere, but this looks a little different than other pictures I've seen. Their diet isn't the best--I offer veg (usually carrots and greens) but they only pick a little at it most of the time. Otherwise they have a mix of Roudybush pellets and seed. They also have a cuttlebone but the budgies are VERY indifferent to it (my first budgie would devour a cuttlebone by himself in a day, but these four ignore it).

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do they bathe at all Caitlyn? This looks like dust stuck to the feathers. When they exhale their breath is moist and that makes the dust stick right there. The sneezing would likely be down to dry air. Is the heating on? I just see budgies that need to bathe.

Last edited:

fizzlyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlyn
Do they bathe at all Caitlyn? This looks like dust stuck to the feathers. When they exhale their breath is moist and that makes the dust stick right there. The sneezing would be down to dry air. Is the heating on? I just see budgies that need a bath.
That's really what I was hoping....our heat has been on constantly due to the cold. I've also been hesitant to offer a regular bath this past month for fear of the birds catching a chill. We use one of those cat water fountains that works like a little bird shower. Maybe some warm water would be good?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Maybe some warm water would be good?
You can try warm but in nature budgies prefer cold water. Don't worry about offering the fountain if it's chilly - if it's too cold they just won't use it.

:welave: