• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feathered Flight question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My lovely little ringneck is just recently getting his feathers back. I've always had him clipped before mainly because the area we kept him in (he was not really close but about 20-25 feet away from the the back door and I was obviously paranoid about him getting out if someone comes here and doesn't know about him out of his cage all day).

Anyway, when I noticed he was getting flight that might be dangerous I clipped some of his primary feathers back, there were a few that had not grown out out yet so I did not yet bother with those. He has now grown out the the last two primary feathers at the end of his wing. He has a little bit of flight but I've noticed usually does not fly as high. Since his living area has recently changed I do not see the need to clip his wings anymore because he's not as close to a door. Is it okay if those wings remain untrimmed while the other primary wings are? Or should I just go ahead a trim them and not clip them the next time he molts?

This is probably a pointless question but it'd be nice to know just incase. Thanks.

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are wanting to grow out the clipped feathers, I would leave the ones that he already has :) They will also be good support to the other feathers when they start to grow in. Having those unclipped feathers will help protect the new bloodfeathers from being broken/injured as they are coming in.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.