• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather Destructive Behaviour in Parrots. Pamela Clark Podcast..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She knows her stuff. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She knows her stuff. :)

I enjoyed listening to the podcast and have often wondered why some parrots plucked.:) It helped put a few things into perspective for me.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just listened to this, and it is quite good. Takes them a while to get to the actual discussion, but once they do get to the meat of it, there's a lot of good information. I found the comments about where the parrot starts plucking to be consistent with my vet's opinions too (Elvis started--and luckily stopped--with her down and her legs, and leg plucking is associated with hormones acc. my CAV). Everything she said made sense to me when I considered Max's behavior too--especially the comments about plucking a mate in a pair-bond situation, since he got Sonny last winter too. I was relieved that I did the right thing by separating them temporarily but still allowing interaction. Thank goodness, sometimes our instincts as owners are correct.

I think we should link to this or make it a sticky in Pluckers Parlor.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You might be interested to know that cockatiels rarely ever pluck..Usually there is a medical issues such as giardia if they pluck.. That being said, a lady on another board had a cockatiel who plucked for years..they explored every medical avenue possible and could find nothing. The bird was even in a small collar at one time as he was doing so much damage. The avian vet finally did a last minute test...and the birdie was found to have both sexual organs..the birdie was a hermaphrodite! I am sure this occurs in nature and otherwise a lot but that is the first one I heard of and that it caused such a behaviorial problem for the poor tiel.