• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite toys?

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
What toys do your pionus enjoy playing with?
I tend to gravitate towards the same things, so I want some new ideas for Gattaca.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My Pi doesn't do a ton of playing, but she likes soft woods to break off pieces and use to groom herself, like balsa wood. She also has been convinced on rare occasion to forage in old cardboard egg boxes I fill with goodies at the bottom of her cage. Mostly she likes to have stations set up around the house for her to sit and stare at us while we do stuff and occasionally fly over to mate with my husband's beard :p I used to try to convince her to play more but now I've accepted she is more of an observer :)

n0lan_i

Moving in
Real Name
Nolan
My white capped pi seems to get bored of most toys after a couple of weeks. However, there are 3 key things that I've found so far that are big winners for him.
Though he goes through them in a matter of days, he is obsessed with these bird kabobs. If he's not busy destroying them, he loves to whap, attack, and run flappy circles around them.
If you're looking to try something with more longevity, I was surprised to discover that his current all-time favorite are these humanoid, wooden bird toys. He will chew on it for hours and will gradually make work of each bead on it's limbs. I got one gifted from a friend at first, as I didn't think he'd pay much mind to a toy like this. But I was wrong.

Otherwise, he loves to throw things like toy rings, plastic balls, etc. off of high ledges and onto the floor. It also indirectly keeps our harmless cat entertained.

I hope this is of help!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine like soft, crunchy textures - balsa, cardboard, cork, mahogany pods, sola, palm leaf, those very thin wooden discs and so on. They're highly motivated by being able to tear something up and seem to be discouraged if they chew on something with little effect. Kira sometimes likes to beat up a bamboo toy though.

It can be tricky finding softer materials for a bigger beak. Mine have enjoyed the larger Lil Monsters toys and toys made out of softer materials like balsa and basswood from Seriously Nutz.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Jasper likes anything he can destroy...inside his cage he loves larger size toys made of wood, paper (he has a toy made with a bunch of those thick paper tubes that you put coins in to bring to the bank), cardboard, wicker. He's currently working his way through the Large size of this one. He also loves this one from The Birdhouse Bird Toys. I ordered a bunch of toys from The Birdhouse, and they sent a whole bag of amazing foot toys along with the order. Jasper spends most of the day on his big play stand, and LOVES all kinds of foot toys. When he drops one, he will climb allllll the way down to the bottom grate to retrieve it, and then climb allll the way back up to resume playing with it, it's so cute.